Blue Demons outclassed on home turf, swept by Seton Hall

Lucas Paredes

DePaul softball was swept by Seton Hall this weekend, being out-scored 31-16 and fall to 12-24 on the season and 4-11 in Big East play.

DePaul’s early season woes continue after a mixture of miscommunication and defensive errors result in a sweep by Seton Hall on its home turf this past weekend. The team falls to 12-24 on the season and 4-11 in Big East play.

DePaul dropped its first of a three-game weekend series against Seton Hall by a score of 9-1 on Friday. The Blue Demon loss came after the team committed three defensive errors, followed by the pitching staff struggling to contain the Pirates firepower on offense.

“I think we just need to get over the hump,” sophomore catcher Anna Wohlers said of the team’s performance. “When we make bad plays, I think we just need to focus on the next one and not have it continue. But I think we can bounce back and hopefully get it done.”

DePaul’s offense struggled against Seton Hall junior pitcher Kelsey Carr as she finished the day tossing a complete game, allowing only just one run and seven hits, while punching out seven Blue Demons.

“We didn’t make any adjustments,” head coach Tracie Adix-Zins said. “Until we make offensive adjustments at the plate, and they figure out how to put the ball in play to where they’re not, it’s going to keep happening.”

Senior Brenna Smith was given the start for DePaul, but a mixture of miscommunication and a solo homerun resulted in her day in the circle being cut short. She only threw four innings, allowing seven hits and five earned runs without recording a single punch out.

“We just couldn’t play catch and field balls,” Adix-Zins said of the defense letting Smith down on the mound. “So we had two players in different positions. If you’re in a different position, communicate with everybody, but again, we were quiet, so errors happen.”

DePaul’s pitching staff struggled, allowing nine runs on 11 hits, led by Seton Hall connecting with multiple extra base hits and a solo home run by senior Shelby Smith.

Seton Hall struck first after scoring three runs in the top of the second inning after a line drive single skirted past sophomore Addison Talbot in left field, which got away from her and rolled to the wall. 

The Pirates offense followed up moments later with an RBI double by junior Lela Allen and then an RBI single up the middle by freshman Andrea Perez to extend its lead 3-0.

The Blue Demons inched its way back in the bottom of the third after Anna Wohlers connected with a solo-blast to deep left center field to bring the team’s deficit down 3-1.

Seton Hall’s offense did not take its foot off the gas as they added three runs in the fourth, two runs in the fifth and another run in the sixth inning to secure the mercy rule victory over DePaul. 

“They need to compete and figure out a way to compete and not throw in the towel,” Adix-Zins said of what the team needs to improve on moving forward. “To be blatantly honest, they need to figure out how to come together and to just compete. If we lose, we lose, but if you’ve put everything out there and you’ve made adjustments, you can’t be upset about it.” 

DePaul’s offense and pitching was able to make the second game of the series more competitive in the early going. Freshman Abbey Pochie took the mound on Saturday looking to capture her second win of the season in her tenth appearance.

Seton Hall struck early with a long two run-home run by Smith in the first inning. The Pirates then added to the lead with an RBI single by junior Hannah Alexander to make it 3-0. 

DePaul responded the following half inning with an RBI sSingle from senior Grace Frazier to cut the lead. Pochie continued the momentum by pitching three straight scoreless innings with the help of a spectacular 6-4-3 double play in the top of the third inning. 

“I think today we came out more prepared and ready to compete,” Adix-Zins said about their performance in game two. “They scored the two runs early, but we fought back and that is all you can ask for.” 

DePaul found a spark in the fifth inning ignited by sophomore Wohlers who hit a bullet home run through a window in McCabe Hall. Sophomore Carly Alvers then added to the total by hitting a sacrifice fly to right field to tie the game. 

“I think we came back stronger than yesterday, and we really came together as a team today,” Wohlers said about the team’s energy going into Saturday’s game. “We just needed to score the runners on base. We left too many on base today and that was our downfall.”

Seton Hall exploded shortly after with a two run sixth inning and a four run seventh inning, putting the game out of reach for the Blue Demons. 

DePaul engaged in a slug fest with Seton Hall in the final game of the series in which they came up short, losing 13-11. The offensive showcase included 27 total hits and four errors which accounted for three of Seton Hall’s runs. 

With rain forecasted for the third game of the series, it was in question whether or not the game could even start. After a quick first inning, rain started to pour and the teams were rushed off the field for a rain delay which only lasted ten minutes. 

Seton Hall came out of the delay with a vengeance as Alexander opened up the scoring with an RBI single to left center field. Two more runs scored on a fielder’s choice that was the result of an error by the shortstop, junior Baylee Cosgrove. The Pirates then loaded the bases and junior Kelsey Carr hit a grand slam that hit the scoreboard out in right center field.

DePaul had their own opportunity with the bases loaded in the bottom of the second. Seton Hall starting pitcher Sydney Babik walked Alvers home to open up the scoring for The Blue Demons. Talbot then ripped a two-run single into left center field to keep the game within reach. 

Seton Hall then responded with four runs in the fifth inning as senior Marisa Pla started the onslaught with an RBI single to left field. Having loaded the bases once again, Carr crushed a bases clearing double into left field that put The Pirates up 11-6.

The Blue Demons fought its way back, but it was too little, too late. T as they fell short, losing 13-11.

DePaul (12-24, 4-11) will take on The Northern Illinois Huskies (19-19, 9-7) in a non-conference matchup at home on Wednesday afternoon at Cacciatore Stadium with first pitch slated for 2 p.m.