How DePaul Latine students can get involved on campus

Here, students can find a list of Latine student organizations and resources on campus.
Cary Robbins
Every week, the student organization Tepeyac organizes Cafecito con Tepeyac, where students are able to eat, drink and discuss topics related to the Latine community.

Welcome back Blue Demons! 

La DePaulia compiled a list of Latine centered organizations and resources that will help you settle into the new school year.

Academic and Career-centered Organizations

• Achieving Immigrant Rights and Equality offers weekly English second language (ESL) tutoring to anyone who wants to learn. Students will have opportunities to volunteer, advocate and raise awareness about immigrant rights and equality.
  • The Association of Latino Professionals For America (ALPFA) works to empower Latine students who want to work in the global economy. Their mission is to bridge gaps between professionals and students and to try and promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace as well as on campus.
  • The DePaul Latino Law Student Association works to connect Latine law students with professionals and discuss issues that affect the Latine community. In the past, they have organized events to speak with lawyers like Federico Rodriguez, who spoke about the intersectionalities of immigration and other sections of law. They also have an annual Latino Law Forum, providing students with an opportunity to participate in a free program and immerses Latine students in the legal field. On September 12, the club will have their first general body meeting, and lunch will be provided. To receive updates, check out their instagram.
  • Latines Interested in Law provides a space for undergraduate Latine or underrepresented students “the ability to further their interest in attending law school through guest speakers, discussions, aid in applying for fee waivers, and LSAT Prep,” according to their website. They welcome any student to join the organization.
  • Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans is an organization whose mission is to “help further the scientific careers for minorities pursuing a degree in the STEM field,” but to also value ideas, values, culture and dreams, according to their website. They try to “provide support and information about career, professional, research and internship opportunities.”
  • Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers promotes Latine students who want to pursue a career in the STEM field. Their mission is to promote “the advancement of all ethnicities, majors, and backgrounds in education, employment, and society,” according to their website. They have academic workshops and community service opportunities.
  • The society for asylum and immigration law provides members with discussions addressing asylum and immigration law issues. They facilitate talks with “established attorneys, officials, and experts in the field,” according to their website. The organization works to promote multiculturalism and discussions affecting asylum and immigrant and foster learning for how these issues are practiced.

Arts and Entertainment

• Latinx Artists at The Theatre School is a club designed to create a space for Latine students involved in The Theatre School to “collaborate, share events, and celebrate one another-through cultural, political, and artistic lenses,” according to their website. They want to embrace and celebrate Latine culture and have the core values of being “Culturally Responsive, Community, Unapologetically Authentic, Breaking Molds, Familia.” 

Cultural and Safe Space Organizations

• Movimiento Estudiantil de Solidaridad y Apoyo (MESA) is a student organization that meets weekly, providing a space for Latine students to discuss “what must be done” in DePaul’s community and Chicago as a whole, according to their website. With their weekly meetings, MESA tries to create a safe space for Latine students on campus. Their instagram is updated regularly with events like painting murals, bicycling to reggaeton music, planting with community garden Semillas y Raíces and more. Their mission is to facilitate events and “provide mental, social, academic, and professional resources while emphasizing our cultural ties.” Their first meeting is Tuesday September 12 at 5 p.m. in O’Connell Hall Room 360.
  • Queer people of color is an organization that tries to untie and uplift individuals who identify as queer people of color, providing students a safe space to express themselves. On their instagram, they post about the events they hold. Last year, they made flower bouquets for Valentine’s Day, discussed intersectionality in the LGBTQIA+ community, watched movies and more.
  • Tepeyac is a student organization that meets Thursdays for Cafecito con Tepeyac, where students can join in on discussions about Afro-Latino solidarity, Latinx Art Exhibition, the diversity in Latin America and more topics. They put updates on their instagram weekly. Tepeyac has a mission to serve Latine students at DePaul through facilitating “student involvement, engagement and leadership development,” according to their website. They want to foster a safe space for Latine students to “share their opinions, reflect on personal experiences, and participate in the Vincentian mission through our programming based on the pillars of faith, culture and service.”
During DePaul’s involvement fair, organizer of Tepeyac, Ari Velasquez, talks about the organization’s weekly Cafecito con Tepeyac, where people join in discussions of Afro-Latine solidarity, diversity in Latin America and more. (Cary Robbins)

Sororities and Fraternities

• Alpha Psi Lambda is the largest and first co-ed fraternity for Latine students at DePaul. Members are able to get involved in community service and become leaders in a group setting. Want to keep up with the jaguars, you can follow their instagram
  • The Gamma Phi Omega International Sorority Inc. was the first Latina-oriented sorority at DePaul. Nationally known, DePaul’s chapter works to unite their sister members in achieving “academic excellence,” “cultural awareness,” “serving communities,” and “preserving the sacred bond of sisterhood,” according to their website. They offer mentorship opportunities between undergraduate and graduate sisters. 
  • The Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Incorporated is another sorority at DePaul, focused on fostering leaders who will “promote unity” by creating charitable and educational programs. They seek to “maintain a higher standard of learning and serve as a voice for all students,” according to their website.

Student Media

• La DePaulia is DePaul’s Spanish language newspaper, whose mission is to provide a voice for the Latine students and writers on campus. Interested writers and photographers can have their work published on NBC and Telemundo Chicago while gaining real-life experience in the field. The publication is currently hiring. For more information contact: [email protected]
  • National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) is an organization working to support, connect and recognize Latine journalists throughout the world. DePaul’s two time award winning chapter provides a pathway for student journalists to connect with professionals and land job opportunities post graduation. On their instagram, the chapter posts updates about the events the organization hosts.
  • Pueblo is the university’s bilingual publication, where Latine journalists, writers and creatives can showcase their work. If you want to publish your writing, Pueblo works with all writers, not just journalists. According to their website, the publication writes about art, poetry, news and political issues that bring together the Latine community at DePaul and around Chicago.

DePaul DePartments offering Students Resources:

These are departments that DePaul offers to provide resources for students.

• The Center for Latino Research publishes “Diálogo,” an award-winning scholarly journal, and sponsors activities and events on campus such as film and speech series. The center also provides student and scholars resources in their research and builds relationships with “local, national and international research partners,” according to their website.
  • Any student is welcome to study with the Department of Latin American and Latino Studies, which draws courses from many fields to explore Latin American and Latine experiences and strives “to deepen Latino students’ awareness of their cultural heritage,” according to their website.
  • The Latinx Cultural Center is part of DePaul’s cultural centers, where students can go to receive resources for scholarships, find more information about clubs, meet other students and more. The cultural centers hold many events and are open throughout the week. The office is located at O’Connell Hall Room 360.
  • DePaul’s Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity has programs, services and funding resources for DePaul students. Their website lists the university’s Statement of Support for the LGBTQ Community, staff of the Office of Institutional Diversity & Equity, Academic Affairs’ Diversity and Inclusion Initiative Grants​ and more resources. Their offices can be found at 1 E. Jackson Blvd.
  • The Office of Multicultural Student Success (OMSS) has a goal “to improve the retention and graduation rates of students of color and first-generation students, students who demonstrate financial need, undocumented students and students with marginalized genders and sexualities.” They provide undocumented student resources, counseling and advising opportunities, career and graduate school help and first-generation college student scholarship information and support. They publish a bi-weekly newsletter to keep students updated of what the OMSS office is offering for students. Their office is located at 2250 N. Sheffield, Student Center 307 Suite #105 on DePaul’s Lincoln Park Campus.