UDPATED: DePaul men’s basketball overcomes Chicago State run to take a 77-70 victory in overtime

[Updated: 8:05 p.m. CST, Sunday, Dec. 15]

When DePaul men’s basketball needed energy against an upset-minded Chicago State, head coach Oliver Purnell went to junior Charles McKinney.

McKinney, who was suspended for two games earlier this season for violating unspecified team rules, came up big in two separate occasions.  The first time, McKinney entered the game when his team trailed 13-6 and helped surge the Blue Demons to an eventual 15-2 run.

The second, and by far the most crucial, was the start of overtime. Purnell sent McKinney out in place of Sandi Marcius, needing key defense stops.

McKinney had two steals and a block while freshman Billy Garrett Jr. scored eight of his 17 points in overtime to spark the Blue Demons in a 77-70 overtime victory over Chicago State.

“I’m really excited from this game,” McKinney said. “It was a tough win … With coach (Purnell) putting me back in, coming off my suspension, I felt like I had to prove myself.”

The Blue Demons nearly avoided a disaster, having never lost against Chicago State in 11 previous meetings.

DePaul blew a 10-point lead with five minutes to go as Chicago State went on an 11-0 run to give the Cougars a 59-58 lead.  The pace slowed and both teams struggled to shoot well in the final minutes.

Chicago State’s Corey Gray sunk a big-three pointer to put his team up 62-61, but Brandon Young soon got to the foul line and tied the game up at 62.

“(Chicago State) came in with a recipe for an upset on the road,” Purnell said. “They hung in there. They took some blows and just waited for the home team to let up, and all of a sudden with four or five minutes to go the pressure really shifts on the home team … I was thrilled to get into overtime. I felt like the pressure eased up on our guys at that point.”

In overtime, DePaul went on a 10-2 run to start the period and took control of the game.  Part of that run was due to Garrett Jr. The freshman hit a contested-three and got to the free-throw line six times after regulation.

“I’ve got to be a leader out there,” Garrett Jr. said. “I’ve been around the game for a long time, and it’s my personality (to stay calm).”

McKinney sealed overtime when the junior picked off an in-bounds pass and ran it back to the other end for a dunk. The Blue Demons led 76-68 with 25 seconds left.

“I noticed the play a couple of times,” McKinney said. “They threw it kind of carelessly. I read it and just took off. I wasn’t stopping.”

Cleveland Melvin led the team with 18 points and 11 rebounds while also adding four blocks. Melvin’s double-double was the 16th of his career.

DePaul shot 40 percent Sunday and committed 23 turnovers, their highest since 2008.  The team went into halftime with a 38-32 lead. 

“I’m just thrilled to get a win,” Purnell said.