DePaul’s Office of Health Promotion and Wellness aims to improve student health

A passion for the health of the DePaul community is the driving force behind one of the university’s youngest offices.

Created in October 2012, the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness’ mission is “to empower the DePaul community to embrace a healthy lifestyle, creating a culture of health and well-being that fosters personal and academic success,” according to director Shannon Lengerich.

In 2011, DePaul was infamously ranked dead last at spot 141 in Trojan Condoms’ “Sexual Health Report Card,” which ranks the sexual health resources and information available to students at universities across the country. The 2013 results were released last week and DePaul was ranked 109th, up five spots from last year.

The Office of Health Promotion and Wellness offers workshops, resources, presentations and trainings on substance abuse, healthy relationships, sexual health, domestic violence, consent, sexual violence, nutrition and meal planning and physical fitness. Through this office, HIV tests are now available on both campuses once a quarter.

“Our approach is grounded in the Public Health Model which includes organized measures that promote health for the entire DePaul population, students, faculty and staff alike,” Lengerich said.

The office approaches sexual health and substance use through the harm reduction model, wherein efforts are focused on preventing harm rather than eliminating the use or action itself.

For example, per the harm reduction model, some suggestions for safe drinking are that females typically consume three drinks a night and that males consume four, that students pace out their drinks, have a friend let them know when they have had enough, set a number of drinks for the night or just don’t drink at all.

In other words, “If you’re going to do it, how can you do it safely?” which Lengerich asked during her presentation of this year’s National College Health Assessment results to the Student Government Association on Thursday.

“You cannot do health and wellness work without people who care about it,” Lengerich said.

Created under the Dean of Students office and located on the third floor of the Student Center, Office of Health Promotion and Wellness is staffed by four essential members.

Rima Shah is the Sexual Health and Violence Prevention Coordinator and is available to support those who are survivors of any form of sexual violence, intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, or stalking. She is available to anyone with questions or who would like to discuss, for themselves or their friends, sexual health, healthy relationships, or any of the forms of violence.

Rebecca Aronson is the substance abuse prevention specialist and is available for anyone who has concerns over their own personal drug or alcohol use or that of a friend or anyone who would like information or resources. Students who have violated DePaul’s alcohol and/or drug policy are mandated to meet with Aronson throughout the academic year. She is also available as a resource for anyone working on an academic project about alcohol and substance abuse.

With a background in health education, Markisha Woodson is the Health Promotion Coordinator. She helps create a widespread campaign to spread the message of the office, the most recent being an ongoing social media campaign with the hashtag #AHealthierDePaul in partnership with several DePaul offices such as The Ray and fraternity and sorority life.

Though only a year old, the office has established itself and the services that it provides.

Rosie O’Malley, a junior art history and political science major and a liaison to SGA, was present at the SGA meeting where Lengerich went over the results of this year’s NCHA and spoke about the office.

“I didn’t realize how new it was,” O’Malley said. “It’s a very established office. The information was impressive and I liked their data.”

“Now I know that if I have a problem, I can go to them,” she added.

Casey Clemmons, president of SGA, supports the office. “It was a great investment from the university,” Clemmons said. “There was not previously an office for this so the fact that they’re an office with a name, even if not in one physical location, is a great and necessary approach to making the university healthy.”

Lengerich adds that the only way the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness can continue to create a healthier DePaul is through collaborations and partnerships, and Clemmons is on board.

“We like to collaborate with them as much as possible,” he said. “Partnering with Office of Health Promotion and Wellness is essential in getting this important message [of health] out there.”

Students are encouraged to partner with the office and inform them of any resources or events they would like to see. All members of the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness can be contacted by phone, email or visiting their offices on the third floor of the Student Center.