22nd Birthday DeJamz

There simply aren’t enough words in the English language to describe a girl’s 22nd birthday. Although we are still incredibly young, it feels like a finale of sorts. It’s the last birthday in college and the last birthday before the horrors of the real world threaten to swallow us whole. Anyways, as we, The DePaulia’s fearless leaders, enter our final birthday at DePaul, we leave you, our beloved listener, with some tracks we hope characterize the indescribable melancholy and excitement of turning 22.

“Frou-Frou Foxes in Midsummer Fires” by Cocteau Twins – Lilly  

Could I tell you any of the lyrics in this song? Absolutely not. However, every time this song comes on, I am undertaken with a sense of resilience and purpose. Turning 22 brings the anticipation of stepping off the well-worn path and taking authority over your life. As someone who lived much of my life on the whims of gut feelings and a general sense of doing what I think is right, I am fully prepared to welcome whatever challenges and opportunities lie ahead as I step into this new chapter with a profound sense of vigor and excitement.

“Sun Bleached Flies” by Ethel Cain – Lilly

It wouldn’t be a Lilly Keller DeJamz if I didn’t include Ethel Cain. From the first time I heard this song back in 2022 to this very moment, it has been ingrained as one of my favorite songs of all time. A narrative of forgiveness and acceptance, “Sun Bleached Flies” is the epitome of finding peace amid the trauma and turmoil of life. While it might sound silly, I sincerely hope this new phase of life will provide me with a sense of reconciliation and the resilience to move forward from the things I cannot change.

“Karma” by Taylor Swift – Nadia 

Unlike my birthday sister, I am not a DeJamz master. I am an expert on worrying and overthinking. Maybe this will finally be the year I will let things go and hope they come back around. Lately, I find myself screaming the bridge of this song no matter where I am. Twenty-two should be the year I focus on me, myself and I. If I have haters (which I know I do), I’ll let karma get to them. What better way to relax than to enter my karma era. 

“Igual que un Angel” by Kali Uchis feat. Peso Pluma – Nadia

Kali Uchis’ songs tend to become TikTok famous but don’t let that stop you from the vast discography. A mix of pop and R&B in English and Spanish, there is nothing this song doesn’t have. This song gives the happiest and chillest vibes. I think pink, sparkly and baddie Latina vibes. And the Peso Pluma feature? Literally, I have been saved. When I think about my hopes for 22, I hope I can embody both the lyrics and music for this year.