DePaul drops rivalry game at Marquette for 8th straight loss

DePaul’s defensive woes continue this season, as the Blue Demons dropped an 89-78 loss to rival Marquette at the Bradley Center, Saturday.

It was the 112th meeting between the two teams and even before the game started, it seemed the Golden Eagles were well-prepared for the Blue Demons (10-13, 1-9 Big East). It’s rare to see a team look so poised when they walk on to the court, but the Golden Eagles looked very focused.  Coming into the game, No. 24 Marquette (17 -5, 8-2 Big East) boasted a 14 -0 home record and was fresh off a 70-47 rout of South Florida.  To top it off, they were playing in front of a sold-out crowd on hand to honor legendary coach Al McGuire.

DePaul desperately needed to jump at its first opportunity to make a run.

The Blue Demons set the tempo in the first half. Worrel Clahar and Cleveland Melvin brought the energy in the first two minutes of the game to spark DePaul’s offensive run. Donnavan Kirk led the Blue Demons with nine points in the half, showing off his improving mid-range game. The junior big man hit 4-of-6 from the floor in the first half, including one from deep. Kirk finished the game with a career high 16 points.  

The Golden Eagles never really defended DePaul’s shots in the first half, allowing the Blue Demons to shoot 47 percent from the floor and 36 percent from beyond the arc. It was evident early on that Marquette’s game plan was to counter with its own offense.

Chris Otule and Davante Gardner exposed DePaul’s inexperienced interior defense early, getting to the basket with ease.  Otule struck first early in the half with a one-handed slam that caught Melvin and Kirk off guard. At this point, head coach Oliver Purnell had to turn to freshman Peter Ryckbosch and sophomore Derrell Robertson for interior support, but that only ended up backfiring, as neither big man could match up with Marquette’s “bruisers.” 

Ryckbosch fouled out in six minutes of play and Robertson picked up two quick fouls in the half, both early.

As soon as Ryckbosch was in foul trouble, Marquette head coach Buzz Williams encouraged his guards to strike the paint. Guards Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Trent Lockett combined for 22 points in the first 20 minutes. At the half, Marquette led DePaul 43-38, despite only shooting 16 percent from three-point land.

DePaul turned up its offense in the second half, but so did Marquette. Brandon Young and Charles McKinney went hard to the basket numerous times in the half, keeping the Demons in the game. Yet despite a strong effort on offense, the team never got a stop on the other end.  Young had 21 points in the game, and McKinney finished with nine.

The game went back and forth, hovering around a five difference until just under the four-minute mark, when the Blue Demons ran out of gas.

Purnell mentioned how the result would have been different had his team cleaned the defensive glass late in the second half.

“That really hurt us in the second half when we couldn’t come up with the rebound,” said Purnell. “We made some shots and got close, but couldn’t get it done in the end.”

The Eagles pounded the paint relentlessly, scoring 50 points in the paint.  DePaul also gave up 24 points from the free throw line.

Cadougon had the strongest line for Marquette with 17 points, six assists and a steal.

“If I see an opening and I keep on seeing it, I am going to keep on going to it,” said Cadougan. “If they stop me, I am going to find my teammates so they can make something happen. Today it was wide open.”

The Blue Demons shot an impressive 51 percent from the floor in the second, but unfortunately their lack of quickness and size betrayed them in the end.

Williams commented on his team’s lack of defense in the game.

“We can’t be great and allow a team to make 50 percent (of their shots) on your home floor,” said Williams. “I’m not sure what we’re great. I’m not being a pessimist, because we have improved.”

William’s team won its 15th in a row at home and is going into the more competitive portion of its Big East schedule starting Monday when they visit No. 20 Georgetown.

“In my opinion (Marquette has) cohesiveness, works well as a unit,” said Clahar. “They buy into their system.

“It’s tough because we’re right there,” said Clahar. “We just have to get over the hump. There’s no time for moral victories.”

Clahar tied a career high with 16 points.

DePaul has lost eight in a row and heads to Notre Dame Tuesday night.