Breaking: Battles drops from FEST 2012 lineup

The experimental rock band Battles has dropped from the FEST 2012 lineup, according to FEST coordinator Lizmarie Palomo and a post on DePaul Activities Board’s Facebook page.

The DePaul Activities’ Board’s Facebook post reads “IMPORTANT FEST INFORMATION: Due to unforeseen circumstances, Battles will no longer be part of the FEST 2012 line-up. We are sorry for all of you who were excited to see their show. Thanks for your understanding. We hope to see everyone on June 1st!”

According to Battles’ website, they have also postponed shows June 2 and 3 at the Bottom Lounge in Chicago and the Grog Shop in Cleveland, respectively. Currently, there is no statement about the postponed shows on their website, Facebook page, or Twitter account. “It’s something personal from the band’s end,” Palomo said. “Personal emergency is as in depth as I can go.”

Palomo said adding another band to FEST was a possibility, but that there was nothing confirmed. “We have known for literally less than 24 hours,” she said. “The process is something that takes a long time so there are absolutely no guarantees.”

Battles released their first album, “Mirrored,” in 2007. Their most recent release, 2012’s “Dross Glop,” is a remix album based on their 2011 album “Gloss Drop.”

Describing an April 27, 2011 performance, the New York Times said “in the tightly composed parts of a Battles song, notes get rubbery, moving synthetically higher and lower, juddering like an arrow after hitting a target; the music becomes jokey, creepy, surreal, hyper-real.”