7 Responses to “Seeking child support reform in Illinois”

1. Carl L. Washington
    September 17, 2014 at 11:05 am #

I agree that the child support overhaul should be completed as soon as possible to match what the rest of the United States is doing. This would resolve a lot of time in courts fighting over who should have custody if the children. Illinois has managed a reliable and valuable spousal maintenance plan so lets move forward with an updated and robust child support plan which will benefit both parties.

2. ronetta rushing
    September 21, 2014 at 9:06 am #

I hope you are not basing the new calculations Missouri’s model. If you add overnight credits into your formula for calculations all you are doing is providing a financial incentive for Custodial Parents to withhold visitation from Custodial parents. This is a problem all over the United States. You will be taking a step backwards and not forwards. This new proposal does not benefit children, children do best when they have both parents in their lives. When you tie child support to visitation in any way, you are making a mistake. Visitation is not an issue that local police will usually enforce. It is considered to be a “civil matter”.You are taking a step backwards, not forward.

3. Greg Rogers
    September 21, 2014 at 9:27 am #

#abolishchildsupport – End it all. There is no point. It destroyed my child hood. I can only imagine how many other children’s lives it’s wrecking vs helping.

4. David Fields
    October 10, 2014 at 10:11 am #

Does anyone know the status of this? This needs to happen.

5. Kevin
    October 31, 2014 at 5:56 am #

Illinois is stuck in the 1960s. Fathers are much more involved in kids lives than in the 60s so why should they be treated as a minority parent, and automatically pay x%? Why don’t we start with 50-50 visitation (which is basically what I finally received), and assuming income are similar for both parents no child support!! In today’s situation a woman making a million dollars with 2 children would receive 28% of the fathers 50k income even if he spent 45% of the time with the kids…….comical!

6. Chris
    November 3, 2014 at 11:32 pm #

I am the non-custodial parent and have my children overnight more than 50% of the time, and pay child support. The kids and I have a great relationship, but my ex-spouse has made a Petition to Modify the existing divorce decree to remove the visitation and increase the child support based on baseless claims and/or facts twisted out of context. Now I am spending thousands of dollars in legal costs defending a fundamentally unfair system.

7. Sarah
    February 5, 2015 at 9:06 am #

Does anyone happen to know when this change might happen? I can’t find anything about the status of this at all…