How to survive your first job

Here are tips from two recent DePaul graduates on how to survive your first job.

Michael Bragg

Graduated 2014

Marketing specialist at TMP Worldwide

How would you describe the first day, the first few weeks? What made it hard? How did you feel?

On my first day, I felt like a real adult — I mean, I had a job. I’d graduated, gotten my own place, secured a salary, job and I felt on top of the world. I thought, “my life plan is taking shape.” That was day one. The next several weeks took me down a few pegs because I began to understand the stakes of what my company does for its clients and notice how smart those around me were. Although, being around much smarter people gives me purpose in the workplace because it gives me a challenge to overcome.

What did you have to do that you weren’t expecting or hadn’t thought about?

I had this thought that a salary job would provide me with all this expendable income, especially in comparison to my paychecks while in college. I was wrong — very wrong. Everything became more expensive and it didn’t feel much different, much to my dismay. But you learn to figure out how to manage it all and, most importantly, budget properly.

In the office, the lack of structure was a real challenge for me. I was on a relatively new team to the company so we had to figure out a lot for ourselves. Trial and error was pretty standard territory and we had to stick far out on a limb regularly.

What specific advice would you give to grads at their first jobs? What can they do to get through the first few weeks easier?

My best advice for grads is to embrace challenges and never wait until you think you’re ready — it might be too late by then.

It’s okay if your internship doesn’t offer you a spot — I had hoped for that, as many do, but I never received an offer. I was quite upset at the time, but it’s turned out to be a blessing. I’ve been with TMP for just under two years and have worked my way up the ladder in ways I know would not have been possible where I was interning. If it’s not meant to be, let it go. There’s something out there for you.

Stay connected to DePaul. If your first job doesn’t work out for you, then it doesn’t work out. Your DePaul network can help connect you in the right spot. Be active on LinkedIn, email your professors and make your wishes known. Many companies have an employee referral program and people consider their networks when a position opens up. Someone you know will think of you if they know you’ve expressed interest or desire to fill a spot they see open up (and they might recommend you for the spot).

Allison Siebold-Guzman

Graduated 2005

Attorney

The first day and first few weeks, I felt a little like a fish out of water.  Meeting so many new people, trying to get settled into my new space and learning about my role is a lot of change at once.  You really go from zero to 60 when you start your first job. It is a lot of responsibility, but it is exhilarating at the same time.   Also, you truly understand the importance of happy hour.

What did you have to do/go through that you weren’t expecting or hadn’t thought about?

I had my first experience with litigation, and I really had zero actual work experience with the court system at that time.  Since I was at a solo practitioner firm, a lot of responsibility fell on me, and I had to figure things out on my own.  I’ll never forget the learning process and how scary and frustrating it can be.  But I think people grow two-fold when they learn via trial by fire.

How did you get through it?

By understanding that there were no other options, and knowing that this was a moment where I could choose to define what kind of employee I was going to be — not only to my boss, but to myself as well.

Be like a sponge in your new job.  Absorb everything you can about the company culture, your roles and the roles of others. Most likely, your first job won’t be the job you retire from, so from the beginning think in terms of your next move and what you can do now to help get you into your next role, all while digging in your heels and doing the best work you can produce in your current role.

Seek out those who know a lot and can explain it to you.  Find a mentor.  Ask questions. And always say yes if presented with any opportunity.  People you meet in your first job can help you grow your network that will impact your entire career.