Protesters take to Millennium Park, Federal Plaza

FT2A0210
Protesting occurred in Chicago Monday after the deaths of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota.

On Monday, in Millennium Park and later in Federal Plaza, Black Lives Matter and other protesters and supporters gathered to continue to bring attention to issues of racial inequality after the deaths of Alton Sterling July 5 and Philando Castile July 6. Their deaths at the hands of police officers — as well as the recordings of their deaths that have circulated on social media — have been a catalyst for the recent protests seen in Chicago and in cities across the nation.

Kenwood Academy High school students Maxine Wint, Eva Lewis and Natalie Braye led protesters from the sit-in in Millennium Park to the plaza just days after similar protests at the Taste of Chicago.

• Protesters carrying signs made their way through Chicago’s Loop Monday after a sit-in in Millennium park. Similar protests occurred Saturday at the Taste of Chicago.

• Officers followed protestors closely during their move to Federal Plaza.

• Protesters march from Millennium Park to the Federal Plaza Monday afternoon

• Maxine Wint leads protestors in chants through Chicago’s Loop.

• Protests, holding signs and chanting, marched through Chicago’s Loop Monday afternoon after a sit-in in Millennium Park.

• Natalie Braye, also a high school student, also had a role in organizing the sit-in in Millennium Park. The sit-in was one of three protests on Monday following the deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile last week.