The good, the bad and the ugly of getting a new roommate

It doesn’t occur right away. Little by little things start to happen, first subtly and then you’re left in desperation not knowing what to do with the terror of your roommate.

Things seemed normal at first. What could go so wrong? Recent DePaul graduate Lissette Aparicio recalls her freshman year roommate like it was yesterday.

“My roommate would leave her dirty panties on the floor, flush cereal down the toilet, had a taser.” You know the usual. Just roommate things.

Except when I asked my Facebook friends for their roommate terrors, things spiraled out of control, and quickly.

Jackie Valdez started to tell me her roommate terror with calmness and then the next thing you know she says, “she didn’t know any other way to tell me so she blurted out, ‘I’ve been on meth for two weeks’.”

Valdez’ roommate terror starts off with her friend couch surfing at her apartment and persuading her other roommate to do meth with her. At this point I’m thinking there could possibly not be any roommate terror that tops this one off.

I was wrong.

For Nicole Cash, a resident at the DePaul Sanctuary townhomes, it was a typical night as she headed back to her dorm to get some rest. As she opened the door there they were, three boys and one girl sharing a blunt. She had never seen these people in her life and her roommate was nowhere in sight.

Cash recalls the eventful night. “ To this day I regret not calling campus security right away,” she said.

The rest of the stories I received detailed roommates having loud sexual intercourse, getting locked out of their rooms because their roommates were having loud sexual intercourse and of course waking up to the sound of loud sexual intercourse. Ahhh College.

But have no fear, it’s close to being that time of the year where the flowers are blossoming and our leases are ending soon. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong my young DePaulians.

Questions to ask potential roommates?:

What is your financial situation?

This is probably the most important. You want a roommate who will be able to pay their rent and utilities monthly. This is also the time to find out about where they work and if they work from home.

Are you into anything weird like drugs?

You never know these days. It’s better to ask than to be stuck in an awkward position later on. There are certain things people are uncomfortable with and getting this question out of the way will be beneficial in the long run.

What are your political views?

A lot can be told from someone’s political view. Also you don’t want to be stuck with someone who thinks feminism is cancer or that we should build a wall or cries about gay marriage. Or maybe you do, that’s totally cool. Not really, but whatever.

How often do you clean?

This is so important. Being able to split household duties evenly is a must. A dirty apartment is added stress you don’t need. Especially not when you have five finals, two papers and a discussion board post to reply to.

Do you have any pets?

People have allergies towards specific animals. Or maybe you’re just a weirdo and don’t like cats. Also some apartments impose a pet fee and discussing pets, or potential pets, is key.

Are you in a relationship?

This is code for “how often are you planning to have your significant other over.” Sometimes couples are really annoying and sometimes PDA isn’t too cute. Knowing a little about your roommate’s love life will determine how often you’re going to wake up to a one-night stand walking out of the apartment.

What is your sleeping schedule?

Some people are night owls and others are early morning birds. Depending on how heavy of a sleeper you are, finding a person who complements your schedule is ideal.

Do you have friends over often?

Show me your friends and I’ll tell you who you are. Sometimes this is true. You also want to know how often they plan on having friends over and if you will tell each other about it in advance.

Are you down to throw parties?

Party people are the best but you don’t want to live with one if you’re not a party person. Also the cleaning after a party is not the best time in the world.