St. Vincent’s DeJamz: DePaulia soundtrack

(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)
(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)

With every DePaulia employee working in the windowless basement of U-Hall every weekend, there are few things outside of music that help keep the paper a float.

From songs that get us hyped to songs that help reflect the “thriving” newspaper business and songs that represent the news on campus, here at The DePaulia there are a vastly different number of tunes played. Here are a few songs that have gotten us through the year.

1. “Jumpman” — Drake and Future

When you work in a basement office — no windows, no service, no contact with the outside world — it’s often hard to keep your mind on pages, and stories and the news that’s coming in throughout the day. That’s where “Jumpman” comes into play. Just got into the office? “Jumpman.” Source bails? “Jumpman.” In the office on a beautiful Sunday while the rest of your friends are out enjoying their lives? “Jumpman.” There really wasn’t an instance where the song wasn’t played this year. It’s the ultimate hype song.

2. “Sound of Silence” — Arrested Development version

“Sound of Silence” became a meme as background music for an unfortunate occurrence in season four of “Arrested Development” and it became a theme song for the paper whenever things did not go our way. The opening chords followed by “Hello darkness, my old friend” became a perfect setting for the office on long news days, especially when we found a mariachi and trumpet version, as well as the Disturbed cover. As it was originally used for the film “The Graduate,” I intend to use this song as background for my entry into the “Real world” and forevermore.

3. “Fix You’” — Coldplay

Nothing gets us in our feelings more than Coldplay’s “Fix You.” When you do try your best and then you do not succeed, this song will soothe your tears while reminding you things might just look up. At the same time, however, “Fix You” is a song that will put hope back into the hopeless while also giving you an excuse to sob softly into your pillow, local bathroom stall or “L” train. Always remember to carry around tissues or have excess fabric on your clothing to wipe away your tears.

4. “Now We Are Free” — Hans Zimmer

A solid instrumental from the film “Gladiator” that reflects the last day of The DePaulia.