Levi Cook to leave men’s basketball program

DePaul’s sophomore center Levi Cook announced on Twitter Thursday, Sept. 14 that he is leaving the Blue Demon basketball program.

“I have spoken to my family and girlfriend and we’ve came to the conclusion that leaving DePaul University’s Basketball team for this upcoming year is in my best interest,” Cook posted on Twitter. “I would like to thank my teammates for their support in this past offseason and the supporting staff. I’ll know in the upcoming months where I’ll be attending school next. I want to thank everybody at DePaul who was close to me and had my back, Rick Carter, Jalen Blackwell, Austin Grandstaff, and especially Mrs. Sophie Cervantez. I hope DePaul the best and their fans as well! This is not me quitting, this is me starting a new path somewhere else. Thanks everybody in advance for the good vibes.”

On Sept. 15, the men’s basketball program announced they had reached an agreement to release Cook, granting the sophomore big-man permission to pursue transfer options.

The 6-foot-10-inch, four-star recruit from Arnett, W. Va. averaged 2.6 points and 2.3 rebounds off the bench in his freshman season. He spent much of his freshman year dealing with injuries.

Cook’s decision to transfer comes after Marin Maric officially transferred to DePaul at the end of last season.  Also listed at 6-foot-10-inches, Maric would seldom take the floor along side Cook, meaning they would have to compete for a starting job and likely split time.

DePaul has also been aggressive in their pursuit of four-star, class of 2018 recruit Bryan Penn-Johnson and have offered him a scholarship.  If Penn-Johnson choses to play for the Blue Demons, Cook would have even more competition for a starting role.

At the beginning of September, top recruit Tyger Campbell reopened his recruitment after committing to play for the DePaul basketball program in May and Al Eichelberger transferred at the end of spring quarter last season, making Cook the third player to leave the program this year.

About the Writer
Shane Rene, Managing Editor

Shane is the Managing Editor of The DePaulia and an undergraduate student studying journalism and political science. He was born in Australia but doesn't...