Filed under Arts/Life, Music

St.Vincent’s DeJamz

If you are a 90s Latinx baby, chances are you grew up listening to iconic early 2000 Latin hits that still influence you to this day.  In the late ‘90s and early 2000s there was what can be called the “Latin explosion.” Artists like pop star Ricky Martin, rock band Maná, superstar Jennifer Lopez, Merengue singer Elvis Crespo and many more were rocking the Latin airwaves. Below we have listed a few of those jams. Nostalgia is welcome.

1. “Let’s Get Loud” – Jennifer Lopez

Featured on her debut 1999 album “On the Run,” “Let’s Get Loud” became J. Lo’s first party anthem. Although it hadn’t yet been released in the United States yet in 1994, it nonetheless charted on Billboard’s “Hottest Dance Club Songs” and received a Grammy nomination. “Let’s Get Loud” became the signature song of J. Lo’s first album and firmly established her on the international music scene. It’s still regarded as one of her most iconic hits more than a decade later.

2. “Livin’ La Vida Loca” – Ricky Martin

This fast-paced tune  is performed by Puerto Rican pop star Ricky Martin. Released in 1999 in his first English language, album, “Livin la vida loca” tells the story of the singer meeting an adventurous woman who makes him live in the moment. The song became a typical example of the new, early 2000s sound of mainstream Latin pop.  Today it is widely recognized as one of the best singles of all time. The song is also featured in the “Shrek 2” soundtrack.

3. “Escapar”  – Enrique Iglesias

Iglesias is one of the most well-known Latin artists that arose from the “Latin explosion” era. Similar to Ricky Martin, Iglesias released his first albums in Spanish. Besides his three hits, “Escape” is his first album predominantly in English. Essentially a love song, Iglesias in “Escapar” proclaims his devotion to his love interest. His swooning lyrics and attractive Spanish accent made “Escapar” reach No. 12 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.

4. “Clavado en un Bar”- Mana

Maná is a popular Mexican rock band that came onto the scene in the mid-80s and hasn’t left since. “Clavado en un bar” tells the story of a heartbroken drunk who can’t leave the bar because of his one-sided love for a woman. While other Latin hits carry a more pop-infused sound, Maná can be categorized as a hardcore rock band with some reggae and pop influence. They have a reputation as being the most successful Latin American rock band.