Blue Demon basketball adds another transfer player

A rendering of Wintrust Arena from the southwest, showing what the name will look like. (Photo courtesy of DePaul Athletics)

The depth chart at the shooting guard position became a little more crowded today for the DePaul Blue Demon men’s basketball program.

DePaul announced the addition of 6-foot-3-inch graduate transfer Lyrik Shreiner who will become immediately eligible for the 2018-2019 season and will have two total years of eligibility remaining.

“We are really happy to add Lyrik to our team at this stage of the preseason,” Blue Demon head coach Dave Leitao said via a press release from the athletic department. “He has experience playing college basketball over his two seasons at TCU and Cal State Northridge and provides us added depth in our backcourt. Lyrik is a high-level player in the offensive end of the floor and possesses a high basketball IQ that can help every day in practice and during the season when we open our schedule.”

The Phoenix resident was a three-star recruit coming out of high school at Hillcrest Academy in Mesa, Ariz. He struggled to find playing time his freshman season at Texas Christian University, averaging 1.8 points in 5.3 minutes of playing time per game before transferring to California State University, Northridge. After sitting out a year per transfer player protocol, he put up 9.0 points per game (fourth on his team) and grabbed 4.7 rebounds per game (third on his team) for CSUN during his sophomore season.

Shreiner joins forwards Darious Hall and center Femi Olujobi as the third transfer player the Blue Demons have added this summer.

Shreiner figures to slot into the shooting guard position for the Blue Demons. He’ll compete for playing time with sharpshooting, former University of Illinois player Jalen Coleman-Lands and talented freshman John Diener.

Coleman-Lands (40.2 percent) is a better 3-point shooter than Shreiner (29.1 percent), so that could factor into who starts alongside a point guard in Devin Gage (23.1 percent) or Flynn Cameron (27.3 percent in his last FIBA tournament ) who hasn’t shot the ball well from deep so far in their respective careers.

One Response to “Blue Demon basketball adds another transfer player”

1. Bing on September 10th, 2018 11:58 am

I am somewhat befuddled here a little bit, why acquire a player who is not as talented as some of the guards you already have? A guard who only has one year of eligibility. Psychologically what does this say to the other 8 or 9 guards you have on the team now. How do you give time to a player that has ok stats and is short term. They don’t call it the BIG EAST for nothing, go out and get some 6’11 or 7 footer that can help right away or can grow with the program. I love DePaul and I go back to the old coach Ray dayes.

• Blue Demon basketball adds another transfer player

COMMENTARY: After four years, the time for DePaul to win is long overdue

Former Blue Demon star participates in G League Elite Camp

Lenti Ponsetto: ‘We haven’t arrived yet’

The next generation of DePaul men’s basketball

Moore transferring to DePaul from Kansas

Moore where that came from: DePaul lands another impact transfer

New contract between DePaul, Northwestern aims to grow Chicago rivalry

John Diener to leave DePaul

Runners-ups meet in Big East-Big 12 challenge

Billy Garrett Jr. reaches NBA, reflects on DePaul