St. Vincent’s DeJamz: 9-22-14

(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)

Chillwave was the sound of the summer in 2012. Coined by the satire website Hipster Runoff, the term came to encompass the growing trend of warm, hazy sample-based pop. Artists like Washed Out, Toro y Moi, and Panda Bear were embraced by both rock critics and the Tumblr-sphere alike, and think pieces emerged about this silly- named genre’s seriousness and whether or not the trend was even occurring at all. Despite ensuing claims that chillwave died the following year, all of these artists not only defined the genre, but are still well-acclaimed musicians today. As the weather chills off itself, these sunny songs are perfect for keeping the summer spirit alive a bit longer.

1. Panda Bear – “Bros”

The percussionist of Animal Collective, Panda Bear first garnered mainstream acclaim with 2007’s “Person Pitch”. The album is filled with collages of skewed samples and hushed synths, with melodies that ramble and transform beautifully. It was a precursor for artists in this movement to come.

2. Washed Out – “Feel It All Around”

In title and sound, “Feel It All Around” arguably defined chillwave, while the track’s use as the theme of “Portlandia” might have increased its ridicule as a hipster fad. Its soft, shiny and good-vibes nature make Ernest Greene’s sound a benchmark for the genre.

3. Toro y Moi – “New Beat”

The solo project of Chaz Bundick, Toro y Moi’s “Underneath the Pine” was marked by its effortless groove and sensuality. Bundick is also a prolific collaborator with the likes of Washed Out and Neon Indian.

4. Neon Indian – “Deadbeat Summer”

Neon Indian’s 2009 album “Psychic Chasms” is equal parts synth pop and dreamy psychedelia. Upbeat and dance- worthy, it is fun and vaguely nostalgic.

5. Teengirl Fantasy – “Cheaters”

Duo Nick Weiss and Logan Takahashi warp and spin long- lost and odd samples into infectious and sticky pop music. 6. Youth Lagoon – “Cannons” Trevor Powers’ home-recorded debut exuded the DIY ethos of the movement. His sweet and slow-building melodies spin tales of intimate and solitary moments.