Filed under News

Chicago bands together to help the homeless during deep freeze

As Chicago hit record-low temperatures last week, a number of organizations in the city and the surrounding areas took extra measures to ensure the safety of homeless residents.

Chicago was blitzed by a series of days marred by extreme cold weather, reaching a low of 23 degrees below zero on Wednesday, the fourth coldest recorded temperature in the city’s history.

The below-freezing temperatures posed a particularly severe threat for the vulnerable approximate homeless population of 80,000 living in the city.

Armando L. Sanchez | Chicago Tribune via AP
People sleep in tents near a wooded area adjacent to the Dan Ryan Expressway on Tuesday, Jan. 29. Officials throughout the region were focused on protecting vulnerable people from the cold.

Zakat Foundation of America is a Chicago-based nonprofit dedicated to helping less fortunate communities. On Wednesday and Thursday, members of the organization braved the cold to provide homeless residents with warm meals, water, blankets, coats, socks and other warm clothes.

“As a humanitarian organization, days off are unacceptable, especially in times of immediate danger,” said Abbas Haleem, a writer and editor for Zakat Foundation. “While many of us spent our Wednesday indoors, people throughout Chicago and the Midwest remained unsheltered and unsupported in subzero temperatures.”

Haleem went on to say that by choosing to ignore the issues faced by the homeless, society as a whole is being weakened.

“It is my belief that leaving the homeless helpless weakens public order by under-representing the population,” Haleem said. “This identification and social maintenance is imperative to finding rehabilitative processes that lift people out of poverty and lie them in warm beds at night.”

On the suburban front, homeless shelter BEDS Plus utilized a pre-existing practice in which they drove those in need of shelter to their facilities free of charge.

“We do regularly provide transportation to clients on an as-needed basis, which might include taking them to jobs, healthcare appointments, train and bus stations,” said Grant Suhs, Communication Specialist for BEDS Plus.

Annalisa Baranowski | The DePaulia

Suhs stated that it is often very easy for people to disassociate themselves from the homeless, theorizing that it is easier to chalk their plight up to a perceived low moral character rather than issues that can befall anybody.

“I think it’s easy for anyone to turn a blind eye to the homeless, especially here in the ‘burbs. Not to get philosophical, but their existence contradicts a lot of what we’ve been taught: that if you work hard and are a ‘good person,’ you’ll be successful,” Suhs said. “We don’t like to see evidence to the contrary: that hard workers and ‘good people’ can lose their homes. So, we ignore the homeless, or assume they’re ‘bad’ somehow: lazy, criminal, on drugs, et cetera.”

In addition to shelters, citizens of the city took matters into their own hands to assist those braving the elements without a home. An unnamed Chicagoan paid for 70 homeless people to stay overnight in a hotel after a propane tank heating a tent city near the Dan Ryan Expressway exploded, according to CNN.

Residents of the city took to social media to provide assistance to the homeless, posting lists of heating shelters in the city to Instagram.

Chicago has a staggeringly large homeless population of approximately 80,384 people, according to 2016 data from Chicago Coalition for the Homeless. 

The issue of homelessness is one of great importance to the city, with some citing a lack of affordable housing in Chicago as a root cause.

“Chicago continues to see far too many of its residents experiencing homelessness for a multitude of reasons, with lack of affordable housing being the most glaring,” said Dan Hula, Executive Director of Lincoln Park Community Services. “There simply isn’t enough affordable permanent supportive housing options available to those in need.  Poverty and insufficient income also has a major influence on our city’s homelessness crisis.”

Hula emphasized the issue of homelessness as being year round, with action needed even without severe weather.

“Homelessness exists and remains a serious issue even after the cold weather passes,” Hula said. “I think it’s important to keep the spotlight on this issue than many individuals would rather not think about.”

Haleem stressed the point further, stating that helping the homeless can lead to a positive cycle of altruism.

“It is not enough to help someone once or twice and walk away,” Haleem said. “Help them until they can help themselves, and once they are able to, they may help others.”

5 Responses to “Chicago bands together to help the homeless during deep freeze”

1. JamesSpence on February 6th, 2019 7:48 am

The region was centered around shielding defenseless individuals from the cold, including the destitute, seniors and those living in unacceptable lodging. A few means of transport were transformed into versatile warming asylums to help the homeless in Chicago. http://www.essayempire.co.uk

2. Natasha Wanderly on February 8th, 2019 9:01 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

3. hEAHTER on February 25th, 2019 4:10 am

Assassin’s Creed Syndicate is one of the favorite games of almost all the video game lovers. It’s a 2015 action-adventure video game. https://www.getmyleather.com/

4. Emma Jason on March 6th, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks for sharing this piece of information. I really enjoyed it. keep up the good work and all the very best of luck!
    https://www.mauvetree.com/product-category/jacket/

5. mark starc on April 9th, 2019 1:17 am

Using the minimum viable product (MVP) development method allows your team to learn how your target Mobile application development users experience and react to the app’s core purpose, and with this insight, you can allocate your budget to areas that best satisfy your overall business objectives.
    For More Information:- https://www.fortifive.com/uk/

• Chicago bands together to help the homeless during deep freeze

Illinois child welfare system under fire after boy’s death

37 hurt, including 7 critical after Chicago-area gas leak

Missing boy’s buried body found, parents charged

Police release father’s 911 call reporting son missing

Student groups demand apology after professor’s ‘Islamophobic’ article

New details emerge about DePaul alum’s role in Russia investigation

Dax Program utilizes housing-first model to uplift in-need DePaul students

Students question Title IX office’s accessibility and conduct

DePaul students demand sustainability plan

Take Back the Night extends support to sexual violence survivors, highlights institutional shortcomings