DePaul’s struggles against Butler continue with 91-78 loss

Senior+guard+Max+Strus+battles+against+Butler%27s+Henry+Baddley+Saturday+night+at+Hinkle+Fieldhouse.+Darron+Cummings+%7C+AP+

Senior guard Max Strus battles against Butler's Henry Baddley Saturday night at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Darron Cummings | AP

Indianapolis — DePaul (13-11; 5-8 Big East) recovered from one double-digit deficit in the first half, but couldn’t do it a second time as an 11-0 run midway through the second half helped Butler (15-11; 6-7 Big East) pull away for a 91-78 victory at Hinkle Fieldhouse on Saturday night.

After trailing by as many as 14 in a choppy first half filled with fouls, senior guard Eli Cain knocked down a three to pull DePaul within one at 57-56, but from there the Bulldogs responded with 3-pointers from Nate Fowler, Paul Jorgensen and Henry Baddley while the Blue Demons turned it over three straight times on the other end. Before long, Butler was back up 68-56 and the Blue Demons would get no closer than within eight points the rest of the way.

“We came out, we battled and found a way to get the ball inside and score some points and try as best we can to defend their multitude of shooters,” DePaul head coach Dave Leitao said. “We had a stretch of three or four bad offensive possessions and they had three or four great offensive possessions which led to open shots and next thing you know we are down 12 again. It was later in the game, we had to do that same thing all over again.”

The Blue Demons recovered from that hole in the first half despite battling foul trouble with Paul Reed, Devin Gage and Femi Olujobi all picking up two fouls midway through the first half followed shortly thereafter with Lyrik Shreiner collecting his third foul as he attempted to secure an offensive rebound.

Leitao was then forced to bring back Gage after senior guard Eli Cain left limped off the court following a pass to Olujobi with 9:30 left in the first half. However, he would miss just over two minutes of game action. Despite the first-half struggles, DePaul headed to the break with the momentum after Cain and senior guard Max Strus knocked down a pair of threes to cut the deficit to three heading into the break.

DePaul senior forward Femi Olujobi goes to the basket against Butler’s Joey Brunk. Darron Cummings | AP

“We cut it down – there was a spurt that I feel like that they maybe got it to 10 – but cutting that down definitely gave us some momentum going into halftime,” sophomore forward Jaylen Butz said. “Coming out of the halftime was kind of hard for us to keep that momentum so it was tough.”

After missing the first game between the two sides, Butz was effective while finishing with nine points and eight rebounds in just over 23 minutes of action.

While DePaul shot nearly 52 percent in the second half, they allowed the Bulldogs to knock down eight threes and shot over 57 percent from 3-point territory. After holding the Bulldogs to just over 28 percent from behind the arc in the first half, Leitao said his team struggled at times with their screening coverages that forced them to be chasing shooters and break down their defense.

“The ball screen coverages or multitude of screens that they set creates a distortion of your defense,” Leitao said. “Now you’re chasing the ball around and you’re closing out long close-outs to shooters. If you don’t get over a Brunk or Fowler screen with Thompson or Baldwin and they start going downhill, it compromises you because the roll guy’s got to be picked up which leaves shooters open on the perimeter.”

After allowing an average of 58.5 points per game in wins over Providence and Xavier at the beginning of this month, the Blue Demons allowed over 90 points for the second straight game since then.

Strus said the issue Saturday stemmed from the Blue Demons’ inability to keep Butler’s guards in front of them, which forced DePaul’s defense into tough spots.

“I think just keeping the ball out of the lane, that hurt us a lot today,” Strus said. “The ball would get in the lane kicking out to guys and then we got to help and then rotate so getting guys in rotations hurts us so I think if we keep the ball in front of us, guys guard their own guy and keep your man in front of you I think that will help us out a lot.”

Moving forward, he added that the Blue Demons’ defense has to improve and if it does, it will help them in other areas as well.

“Our defense needs to get better,” Strus said. “That’s two games in a row we’ve given up 90 points so we obviously need to figure it out on the defensive end and come together on defense, and hopefully that leads to more offense and stops and rebounds and get out and run, so we really need to pick it up on defense.”

With the loss, DePaul now sits in a tie for seventh in the Big East standings, however aside from the top two in Villanova and Marquette the rest of the conference remains wide open. The Blue Demons will be back in action Wednesday night when they take on Creighton at Wintrust Arena.

3 Responses to “DePaul’s struggles against Butler continue with 91-78 loss”

1. Lisa Joy on February 20th, 2019 2:45 am

PERFECT LOVE SPELL THAT WORK FAST WITHIN 24 HOURS WITH DR SAM

OMG!!! I am so proud and happy to be out here sharing your work Dr. Sam. I just can’t believe this now my ex Husband is really back to me on his knees presenting a ruby rose to beg me to take him back and he was feeling regretful and sorry for leaving me and for causing me pains after the divorce which occurred last year. And this whole miracle happened after I ordered an urgent 24 hours Dr. Sam powerful spell which he cast on me and my husband. Sir, I am the happiest woman today in this whole wide world. Dr. Sam, you really did it..Yes.. Its a miracle and everlasting pleasure and cheerfulness for me and my family today.. I am so happy now and i don’t know how much to convey my thankfulness and appreciation to you sir. And to the whole world, contact him if you need urgent help now because it’s guaranteed that he will help you. Email him (supremespellcast@gmail.com) His blog> https://supremespellcast.blogspot.com Add him up (WhatsApp him +2347087462033)

2. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 21st, 2019 12:05 am

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

3. Deebra Jones on May 16th, 2019 8:38 am

Am very happy to tell everyone to hear my testimony i am from united state, a nurse, this story of my love life.I have been married for 4years and on the 5th year of my marriage, another woman had to take my husband away from home, my husband left me and the kids to suffer for 2years until i met a post where this man Dr. Udebhulu have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my husband back home and believe me i only sent my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48hours as he have told me, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make every one of you in similar problems to meet with this powerful man and have your lover back to your self.You can contact him with this email address {shomorikasolutiontemple@yahoo.com or
    shomorikasolutiontemple@hotmail.com} or call him via his whatsapp number +2349035080936 Thank you Dr Udebhulu. I am sure he will do same to help you

• DePaul’s struggles against Butler continue with 91-78 loss

COMMENTARY: After four years, the time for DePaul to win is long overdue

Former Blue Demon star participates in G League Elite Camp

Lenti Ponsetto: ‘We haven’t arrived yet’

The next generation of DePaul men’s basketball

Moore transferring to DePaul from Kansas

Moore where that came from: DePaul lands another impact transfer

New contract between DePaul, Northwestern aims to grow Chicago rivalry

John Diener to leave DePaul

Runners-ups meet in Big East-Big 12 challenge

Billy Garrett Jr. reaches NBA, reflects on DePaul