Creighton Bluejays stymie Blue Demon frontcourt; beat DePaul at Wintrust

DePaul+senior+guard+Eli+Cain+reacts+to+an+unfavorable+call+in+the+first+half+of+the+Blue+Demons+79-67+loss+against+Creighton+Wednesday.+Richard+Bodee+I+The+DePaulia.+

DePaul senior guard Eli Cain reacts to an unfavorable call in the first half of the Blue Demons 79-67 loss against Creighton Wednesday. Richard Bodee I The DePaulia.

The Creighton Bluejays (14-13; 5-9) executed head coach Greg McDermott’s gameplan nearly flawlessly in a 79-67 win against the DePaul Blue Demons (13-12; 5-9) Wednesday night at Wintrust Arena

Force the ball out of the hands of the Blue Demons best players, their frontcourt, instead surrendering open outside shots to the DePaul guards with shakiest jump shots.

“Well, they got a couple of quick fouls which absolutely helped but we ran with some double teams when it went in there [into the post],” McDermott said in regards to how his squad slowed down the Blue Demon frontcourt. “Surprisingly, they haven’t seen a lot of double teams during the course of the season. I think that may have upset their rhythm some, we lived with some shots from a couple of their players.”

“We anticipated it [Creighton doubling the post],” Blue Demon head coach Dave Leitao said after the game. “Greg does a tremendous job of game planning and he snuffed out some of our guys that he played percentages with and they doubled our size guys. We touched on it, we’ve been working on it for two days on how you play out of the double team. We moved it around, but you got to get it out of there quick, you have to move it quick, and you have to attack quick and I don’t know if all three of those happened enough for us to make them pay a price for doubling.”

“When the ball goes into the post, what I’d like to see is a guy scoring one on one which has happened most of the year. Scouting being what it is, this league knows each other so well I think [Greg] put in a second guy [in the post] and dared someone else to beat you.”

Paul Reed and Femi Olujobi combined for six shots and 12 points as the Creighton Bluejays earned a 36-16 advantage in points in the paint, nearly outrebounded (33 to 32) the second-leading rebounding team in the Big East Conference, and held Reed to just two points which was his lowest scoring output since the beginning of December when he scored just one point against Northwestern.

With the paint clogged with double teams, the shots funneled to the Blue Demon guards. Devin Gage finished with a season-high 16 field goal attempts (he connected on four of them), Lyrik Schreiner missed all four of his shot attempts, and Max Strus needed 17 shots to record his 18 points.

DePaul point guard Devin Gage drives hard to the basket in the Blue Demons 79-67 loss against Creighton on Wednesday evening. Richard Bodee | The DePaulia

The one player who benefited from the increased attention to Olujobi and Reed was redshirt freshman point guard Flynn Cameron. The New Zealand native netted a career-high 11 points on 4-for-4 from the field including 3-for-3 from the 3-point line. He competed with the taller players on the boards, bringing down four rebounds, and on multiple occasions gave up his body diving for loose balls. He finished with one turnover in 18 minutes of playing time.

“A guy who hadn’t played a whole lot all year long, but the thing I respect about him the most is that he’s been the exact same person the whole season,” Leitao said. “I’ve never seen him down, I’ve never seen him stop working. I’ve never seen him stop trying. Never seen him not practicing hard. He’s been on the second team, he’s been on the scout team. He’s been all over, he obviously hasn’t played a lot so to come out in the second half of the Big East season and hit four shots without hesitation speaks to the kind of man he is.”

With the loss, the Blue Demons have dropped three straight games and sink into a three-way tie in a tightly packed Big East Conference. A bad first half contributed to the loss tonight.

Reed’s two early fouls brought him out of the game for eight minutes and allowed him to hoist up one solitary shot attempt in the first 20 minutes of the game [which he missed]. Olujobi picked up three first half fouls, allowing him to play just six minutes in the half. He finished the game with 10 points on 4-for-4 from the field, but played just 16 minutes.

DePaul limped into halftime on a 4:35 scoring drought allowing Creighton to roll into the lockeroom with a 41-30 lead after Ty-Shon Alexander nailed a long 3-pointer that plopped softly on the back of the rim and nestled in the basket as time expired.

The Blue Demons have a one week hiatus before they travel to face Georgetown on Feb. 27.

3 Responses to “Creighton Bluejays stymie Blue Demon frontcourt; beat DePaul at Wintrust”

1. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 21st, 2019 12:04 am

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

2. Joseph Bourelly on February 21st, 2019 12:22 am

DePaul starting guards shot 16 of 41 field goal attempts, while Paul Reed, the team’s best player, only took two shots all night. That pretty much sums up the game right there.

3. Sam hunt on April 30th, 2019 1:20 pm

My herpes is cured and it’s miracle healing. Thanks to Dr.ASAKASUKU who cure my Genital Herpes
    I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I’m gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ASAKASUKU contact number. +2349064038282 called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr.ASAKASUKU medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr.ASAKASUKU and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on drasakasukuherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com or you can also reach him through Whats App number+2349064038282
    He can also cure so many sickness
    {1}HIV And AIDS
    {2}Diabetes
    {3}Epilepsy
    {4}Blood Cancer
    {5}HPV
    {7}ALS
    {8}Hepatitis {9}Low spam count. {10}Fibroid. {11}pregnancy.

• Creighton Bluejays stymie Blue Demon frontcourt; beat DePaul at Wintrust

COMMENTARY: After four years, the time for DePaul to win is long overdue

Former Blue Demon star participates in G League Elite Camp

Lenti Ponsetto: ‘We haven’t arrived yet’

The next generation of DePaul men’s basketball

Moore transferring to DePaul from Kansas

Moore where that came from: DePaul lands another impact transfer

New contract between DePaul, Northwestern aims to grow Chicago rivalry

John Diener to leave DePaul

Runners-ups meet in Big East-Big 12 challenge

Billy Garrett Jr. reaches NBA, reflects on DePaul