Filed under News

A ‘loss to the DePaul community’: Lincoln Park mourns Kelly’s Pub owner’s death

Amy Do | The DePaulia

Amy Do | The DePaulia

Amy Do | The DePaulia

DePaul students and the larger Lincoln Park community mourn the loss of a beloved local business owner.

John P. Kelly, the owner of Kelly’s Pub, died of esophageal cancer on Feb. 14 at the age of 82. Kelly is survived by his wife Polly, children Kevin and Megan, siblings William, Dennis, Mary, Frances and Kathleen, as well as four grandchildren.  Kelly is preceded in death by his son John.

Kelly’s Pub opened in Lincoln Park in 1933 following prohibition being repealed and is one of Chicago’s oldest family-owned pubs, according to the pub’s website. The pub is a staple of Lincoln Park, and was even featured in the 1986 film “About Last Night,” starring Demi Moore, Rob Lowe and Jim Belushi.

John P. Kelly was a Chicago native, having attended DePaul schools throughout his education.

“He grew up here,” said Megan Kelly, manager of the pub and John P. Kelly’s daughter.  “He went to DePaul for grade school, high school, college, and one year of law school.”

Megan stated that her father’s outgoing and friendly personality made him very well-known within the community.

“He certainly was a personality,” Megan said.  “Everyone knows him, he’s known all over the place. He got around, too.”

Patrons of the bar stated that John P. Kelly’s warm, welcoming nature was palpable even to those who did not know him well.

“I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Kelly one on one but he was almost always

there when I am around. He and Mrs. Kelly would always come in through the back and

park at their same spot at the end of the bar,” said Brigid Creamer, a DePaul senior. “They are both such friendly and loving people who truly appreciated seeing their bar full of smiling faces. Losing Mr. Kelly is a true loss to the DePaul community.”

Kelly’s has been family-owned since its inception, with John P. Kelly taking ownership of the bar following the death of his father Frank Kelly in 1957. According to Megan Kelly, her father took great pride in the bar’s roots in family.

The familial ideology is reflected even in the pub’s decor, with pictures lining the walls.

“I think [being family owned] makes it a bit unique because there’s just not that many left,” Megan said. “It hasn’t really changed much in the last 30 years.”

“The family photos lining the walls make it seem as if I were apart of the family and this was my living room. In fact, it is a running joke that one day I am going to put my own photo up on that wall,” Creamer said. “But even more than just the photos, it’s the bond that Kelly’s creates for so many people. Regardless of when I go in there, I am likely to see at least one familiar face.”

The pub was undoubtedly a staple of both John P. Kelly’s professional and personal life. He met his wife Polly at Kelly’s Pub in 1962, and the two were married the following year, according to the bar’s website,

Customers similarly value the familial nature of the pub, stating that it contributes to a welcoming environment.

Every time I walk in there with my friends it feels like home. I know that’s so cheesy, but we say it all the time. I’ve made some of my absolute favorite memories there,” said Ally Sledz, a DePaul senior.  “I’ve spent a lot of my time during college at Kelly’s and have become friends with some of the people who work there. There’s nothing like walking into Kelly’s and seeing the people you know and love.”

John P. Kelly additionally served as a firefighter, balancing his obligations at the bar during his off time.

“Fireman work 24 [hours] on, 48 [hours] off,” Megan said. “Almost every fireman has another career that they do, and this was his other career.”

Kelly’s Pub is often considered a quintessential DePaul bar, being located approximately a block away from DePaul’s Lincoln Park campus.

“It’s a 90-year relationship with DePaul students. They’re always customers and even when they’re alumni, they come back to visit too,” Megan said. “Its college memories, everyone has them. You’re here with your friends, you kind of coming of age with your friends and it’s good memories and you come back to revisit them.”

This theory is represented within current DePaul students, with many revisiting the pub to remember good experiences made there.

“I owe so much to Kelly’s because that is where I met the majority of my friend group. In fact, I met most of those people during my very first week of college. It is the place where my friend group’s bonds began and continued to grow,” Creamer said. “Regardless of how our days or weeks were, going Kelly’s was, and still is, a spot we can count on to be there for us. Long stressful days can always be put at ease by the familiar faces smiling at us from behind the bar, the slightly sticky tables and the minor smell of beer wafting through the air. For most, this may not seem appealing, but for us- this is our home.”

Students who frequent the bar appreciate the casual atmosphere and friendly staff, stating that it is a welcome change from other bars in the area.

“Of course there’s value in family businesses. I think it makes a business unique unlike a chain or corporate run place,” Sledz said. “Big developers don’t really care about the community, but with a family business, they’re most likely active members in the community which I think is important.”

The front window of the pub has been adorned with a photo and written tribute to John P. Kelly. According to Megan Kelly, there are no current plans for a further tribute from the establishment.

While Kelly’s Pub and the larger community will continue to lament the loss of John P. Kelly, his legacy and effervescent personality will continue through the connections and community existing within Kelly’s Pub.

“Kelly’s isn’t your fancy club with bottle service and laser lights. Kelly’s is your local watering hole where people are welcome to come as they are and be who they want,” Creamer said. “It is rare to find a place so fun but also mellow when you need it to to be. That is one of the best things about Kelly’s. It is whatever you want it to be.”

10 Responses to “A ‘loss to the DePaul community’: Lincoln Park mourns Kelly’s Pub owner’s death”

1. Susan on February 26th, 2019 4:13 pm

i want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to Dr. Keke Odin the chief priest of all spell casters worldwide for bringing back my husband who left i and the kids for almost three months within the space of two days after following all instruction given to me. i am very much grateful for restoring peace in my marital home, and i pray God almighty give you the strength and wisdom to continue helping more people having similar relationship and marital problem like mine. for help you can contact him now through his email and mobile number below

Email: greatkekespelltemple @ gmail . com

Mobile Number: +1 386-336-9876

2. Martin Stone on February 27th, 2019 8:35 am

I always dreaded picking classes because Campus Connect really muddled me. I began to play around with the website http://www.bestassignmentservice.com/ a little more and realized how to pick classes more simply so that they would fit my schedule.

3. Lisa Amy on February 28th, 2019 3:53 am

Contact Dr. Sam at Supremespellcast@gmail.com if you want to get your Husband, Wife, Boyfriend and Girlfriend back now and regain your happiness.

My name is Lisa Amy. I am really pleased with this service Dr. Sam render to me. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called Dr. Sam I never in a million years would have thought I’d be writing a letter like this, but when I nearly lost Andrew in one of our stupid, fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.I read a testimony by a man called Taylor Borg about him saying that how Dr. Sam helps him to get back is EX wife within 24 hours.I quickly email him. He did a (Lover spell) for me. 24 hours later, my (Ex-Boyfriend) came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal and our love is now stronger that he can’t do without being with me. I and my boyfriend are living together happily again. Dr. Sam is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. And when I was at my most desperate, he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! Andrew and i are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to Dr. Sam email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help.
    Email him {supremespellcast@gmail.com OR WhatsApp/Call +2347087462033}

4. Chryssy Berry from USA on March 3rd, 2019 10:08 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

5. Pauline s on March 15th, 2019 12:11 am

I am sharing this testimony to partners suffering in their relationships because there is an enduring solution.
    My husband left me and our 2 kids for another woman for 3 years. I tried to be strong just for my kids but I could not control the pains that torment my heart. I was hurt and confused. I needed a help, so i did a research on the internet and came across a site where I saw that Dr Eddy a spellcaster, that can help get lovers back. I contacted him and he did a special prayer and spells for me. To my surprises, after some days, my husband came back home. That was how we reunited again and there was a lot of love, joy and peace in the family.
    You can as well contact Dr Eddy, a powerful spell-caster for solutions on his contact: dreddyspiritualtemple@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +2348160830324

6. Isabella Fraire on April 11th, 2019 4:14 am

Me siento tan bendecido nuevamente en mi matrimonio después de que el doctor Obudu me devolviera a mi esposa que se separó conmigo durante unos 11 meses. Aunque tengo bocas en todo mi cuerpo, no será suficiente agradecerle al doctor Obudu su ayuda en mi vida. Mi esposa se separó conmigo durante 11 meses y he estado con dolores y agonía sin ella. Por lo tanto, busqué ayuda en todas partes, pero nada funcionó hasta que me referí al doctor Obudu, a quien contacté en línea. Le expliqué mi situación y le prometí que dentro de los 7 días que mi corazón aún late por ella. Creía en él y él preparó un hechizo para que mi esposa me llamara exactamente cuando el doctor Obudu dijo. Me suplicó y me dijo que me necesitaba de vuelta y ahora estamos viviendo felices nuevamente durante los últimos 3 meses. Todos los que estén leyendo mi artículo que necesiten ayuda deben contactarlo … Correo electrónico. Doctor Obudu a través de
    obuduyang@gmail.com/+1 503-773-9114 para más información

Si estás por ahí pasando por esto.
    problemas enumerados a continuación también es perfecto
    (1) ¿Quieres que tu ex vuelva?
    (2) ¿Siempre tienes malos sueños?
    (3) ¿Quieres ser promovido en tu oficina?
    (4) ¿Quieres que las mujeres / hombres corran detrás de ti?
    (5) ¿Quieres un hijo?
    (6) ¿Quieres ser rico?
    (7) ¿Quieres atar a tu esposo / a para ser
    ¿tuyo para siempre?
    (8) ¿Necesita ayuda financiera?
    (9) ¿Has sido estafado y quieres
    recuperar su dinero perdido?
    (10) Curación del cáncer, VIH / sida, herpes y todo tipo de enfermedades.
    (11) Quieres dejar de problemas de matrimonio y divorciarte.
    (12) rodamiento infantil
    (13) Curso de ruptura de generación.
    (14) Obtención de trabajo
    (15) Protección espiritual.
    (16) Cuidado herbario
    (17) Hechizo de Divorcio
    (18) hechizo de matrimonio
    (19) hechizo de ruptura
    (20) hechizo de dinero
    (21) hechizo de amor
    (22) quedar embarazada
    (23) Protección empresarial
    (24) Hechizo para problemas familiares.
    (25) Problemas en casos judiciales
    Si necesita o quiere información sobre el amor o
    hechizos de dinero que pueden resolver ese problema
    hoy en el templo obudu

7. andrea rose on April 11th, 2019 4:59 pm

Nice sharing amazing one keep sharing more thanks for all lovely one forex steam review

8. hassan bajwa on April 14th, 2019 1:47 pm

The MNSBC network conjointly provides content from news websites like NBCnews.com and these days.com, with live streaming choices for those that want to look at MSNBC News whereas on the go. We have a tendency to bring MSNBC, you around-the-clock streaming sleeps in HD quality. News TV Live Stream Channel Online

9. CDHPL on May 12th, 2019 2:41 am

visit my website CDHPL for more info.

10. mohit on May 16th, 2019 5:32 am

Good Post! Thank you so much for sharing this pretty article.
    consumerreports login

• A ‘loss to the DePaul community’: Lincoln Park mourns Kelly’s Pub owner’s death

Spring Carnival brightens up DePaul

Metro

COMMENTARY: Chicago will remember Emanuel as he was, not as he wants

Metro

Potential solutions to urban flooding not attainable for communities that need them most

Students break fast and learn about Ramadan at Interfaith Iftar

Metro

Pilsen proposes historic landmark to slow gentrification

Metro

Chicago public health department confirms measles case

Metro

Pregnant Chicago woman slain, baby cut from her womb

Duckworth proposes increased funding for on-campus child care

Metro

Transparency trouble: New database shows police misconduct records for Chicago and beyond

Discussion at DePaul free speech forum falls short of compromise