A new kind of storage

March 11, 2019

Toward the end of the spring term, DePaul students typically pack up whatever belongings they have from their dorms or apartments and take them home for the summer. They may leave their other items in a storage unit if the place they call home is a long way away from Chicago.

But not everyone, including college graduates, can meet the financial requirements or specific dates that different storage facilities offer. These factors are why 42-year-old Chicago native Sean Sandona founded Doorage.com, a storage solutions company, in Feb. 2018. The now-CEO launched the student program in April 2018.

Doorage.com differentiates itself from the general storage business model in that it charges its customers in the Chicago area on the cubic volume in boxes that they use instead of charging them for a room of storage space. Aside from catering to students, Doorage.com also does business and residential storage.

“You get small bins. You can photo everything that’s in there, and we take it away from your dorm and we bring it back to your next housing when fall move-in is happening,” Sandona said. “It takes all [of] the headaches out of it. We did great with students, so we really targeted our business aggressively towards students.”

The first month of storage is based on the number of days left in the month. New customers only pay for storage based on the pickup date until the end of the month and then it renews on the first on the month at the full monthly storage rate. The only minimum is the first pro-rated month and the renewal on the first full month.

On average, college students spend about $60 to $70 per month in storage with Doorage.com.

Storage starts at $1 per cubic foot for up to 50 cubic feet, and the average box is four cubic feet. The larger volume you store, the price continues to drop per cubic foot. Comparably, the average monthly cost of a self-storage unit in the U.S. is $91.14 as of Dec. 2018.

Sandona came up with the business model for Doorage.com following a history of having a handful of storage units for many years that had been broken into and damaged. It became evident to Sandona that he could not get out of the traditional storage unit model trap.

A lifelong entrepreneur, Sandona started his first company when he was 15 years old before starting two more companies while he was in college at Northeastern Illinois University and after he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.

Graphic by Annalisa Baranowski for the DePaulia

While taking a trip to Las Vegas a few years ago, Sandona began brainstorming ideas after wondering how he could make the storage unit business less of a hassle for consumers. Perhaps the most important component of the industry that Sandona realized was missing that was not so evident in his experience was customer service.

Sandona then spent half a year planning before creating a concept for the business and spending a year in technology development.

“We know that with student business, there’s such a volume that student business makes us profitable in a market through the whole student season,” Sandona said. “So, we can pre-launch in January, hard-launch in February…and then we’re profitable in that market during the student storage months.”

The relatively new storage solutions company is expanding rapidly and has a strategy to grow to 50 markets nationwide. Doorage.com will be launching in Milwaukee and Madison , Wisconsin later this month.

Additionally, Doorage.com has looked into franchising, but its primary target will be university-specific markets that could not be disclosed. Aaron Pagel, an adjunct professor at DePaul who teaches an undergraduate economics course in business strategy, doesn’t see any harm in the model that Doorage.com is implementing.

“The fact that [Doorage.com] is focusing specifically on college students and the college market, I mean it makes sense,” Pagel said. “It’s a meaningful segment for sure. I think it’s probably something that I’d be curious if other competitors would come into this market as well once they show there’s value.”

The company doesn’t disclose the total number of facilities because self-storage units are one of the highest-targeted areas for criminals because there’s not a lot of monitoring. Furthermore, Doorage.com has non-disclosed locations because it is protected, so no one is allowed in except for the background check staff and employees. What Doorage.com can say, however, is that it has multiple facilities in the greater O’Hare district.

Eva Toon, a student at Elmhurst College, found Doorage.com to be helpful in aiding her with storage operations as an out-of-state student from Arizona.

“[Doorage.com] is a stress reliever,” Toon said. “The workers who helped carry all my stuff up three flights of stairs was one of the many helpful tasks they did. They went through protocol to double-check all items were secured within the boxes and for the items like my mini-fridge was nicely wrapped and protected.”

At the moment, it is not quite certain whether the model that Doorage.com utilizes can be duplicated across the storage industry by other moving equipment and storage rental companies such as U-Haul because of the numerous technological variables, such as security maintenance and storage unit codes, that go into the business model.

“All of that technology exists, but implementing it in the storage unit industry is questionable because most people, when they use storage units, aren’t necessarily putting everything in pre-defined boxes,” Pagel said. “From this market, the college market, I think it makes a lot of sense. The expansion of the industry moving forward, I think there’s a lot of market education that needs to be done for that to be a real thing.”

4 Responses to “A new kind of storage”

1. Appslure on March 15th, 2019 7:11 am

Thanks for posting keep updating. We are Excellent company for
    http://www.appslure.com/web-development/

2. Natasha Wanderly on March 15th, 2019 7:33 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .

3. Clara James on March 16th, 2019 7:14 am

GREAT LOVE SPELL CASTER PRIEST WISDOM THAT HELP ME SAVE MY RELATIONSHIP.TEXT OR ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP: +2348124644470

My name is CLARA JAMES .i want to give thanks to PRIEST WISDOM for bringing back my ex husband.No one could have ever made me believe that the letter I’m about to write would actually one day be written. I was the world’s biggest skeptic. I never believed in magic spells or anything like this, but I was told by a reliable source (a very close co-worker) that Trust is a very dedicated, gifted, and talented person,It was one of the best things I have ever done. My love life was in shambles; I had been through two divorces and was on the brink of a third. I just couldn’t face another divorce, and I wanted to try harder to make our relationship work, but my husband didn’t seem to care. and he brake up with me again.I was confuse and do not no what to do again,rather them to get in contact with PRIEST WISDOM . He did a love spell that make my husband come back to me. we are now very much happy with our self. PRIEST WISDOM make him to realize how much we love and need each other.This man is for REAL and for good.he can also help you to fix your broken relationship. I had my husband back! It was like a miracle! He suddenly wanted to go to marriage counseling, and we’re doing very, very well,in our love life.contact email Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com text or add him up on whatsApp at: +2348124644470 //////////””””””””’

4. Wesley Bailey on March 19th, 2019 5:28 am

Am so happy to tell everyone how my joy and happiness was restored by Baba Obudu. He is the best person to have come in contact with me this year. I have been In pain ever since my wife left me for another man leaving me with a 2 years old to take care of. I read about Baba Obudu online and wrote him, poured my heart to him and he assured me that my wife is going to be with me on my baby 3rd birthday and my dear people May 5th is her birthday and my wife is here already as Baba have said and we are planning the birth together.

Please I am assuring everyone out there who is reading this testimony to never give up cos I almost gave up. I have met two caster before who tried to help but to no avail and I spent money nothing worked until I met Baba Obudu who told me he is not just a spell caster who read books to cast spell but he uses black magic to cast his spell. I was ready to do anything to get my wife back so I told him to do what ever it will take in as much there is no repercussion which he did and within 72 hours of the ritual my wife call to ask after the baby, that was how she started calling and within a week she moved back and we are now happy. Thank you baba for I will be forever grateful to you.

Am using this medium to tell everyone out there never to give up, you may have contacted some spell caster before who have no black magic power to do anything thereby wasting your resources and time, Baba Obudu is not like them, he make sure his work is done and perfectly. Just give him a chance to bring that happiness back to you just as he did to me so you can join me too in this testimony.

He has the following spell:

1.) Love spell
    2.) Legal case spell
    3.) Divorced spell
    4.) Immigration/Breakthrough spell
    5.) Has Herbs for all types of diseases

Good luck as your put it into work and may your happiness and love be restored back to you
    Contact him on:
    obuduyang@gmail.com

The DePaulia • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in