Filed under Metro, News

Chicago aldermen OK $2.4M in tax subsidies for developers of Lincoln Yards, ‘The 78’

The+proposed+Lincoln+Yards+development+will+sit+on+50+acres+of+riverfront+property+on+the+Northwest+Side.+The+site+will+be+home+to+a+transportation+hub%2C+retail+shops%2C+office+space%2C+public+parks+and+residential+units.+

The proposed Lincoln Yards development will sit on 50 acres of riverfront property on the Northwest Side. The site will be home to a transportation hub, retail shops, office space, public parks and residential units.

Photo Courtesy of Sterling Bay

Photo Courtesy of Sterling Bay

Photo Courtesy of Sterling Bay

The Chicago City Council has approved $2.4 billion in tax subsidies for two major developments after Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot said she would drop her opposition.

Aldermen voted Wednesday morning on the packages. An earlier vote was delayed when Lightfoot said she wanted to review the tax packages. Lightfoot said late Tuesday that the developers had agreed to increase the amount of construction work going to minority and women-owned firms. She says she’s going to closely monitor the deals going forward.

Protesters gathered at City Hall chanting against the deals. Critics have said the projects are in prosperous parts of Chicago and developers should pay for infrastructure improvements, not taxpayers.

Current Mayor Rahm Emanuel said after the vote that the tax subsidies are “investments in the future.”

One Response to “Chicago aldermen OK $2.4M in tax subsidies for developers of Lincoln Yards, ‘The 78’”

1. Lisa on April 12th, 2019 7:48 am

Nice post I have never seen this type of post
    Nice post
    [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/]Nice post[/url]

• Chicago aldermen OK $2.4M in tax subsidies for developers of Lincoln Yards, ‘The 78’

Metro

Obama Foundation draws high-dollar, international donations

Metro

Chicago prosecutor to start erasing pot convictions soon

Metro

Living off campus in Chicago can mean contending with faulty heaters, carbon monoxide leaks and bad landlords

Metro

Report takes issue with error-prone Chicago gang database

Metro

Mayor Emanuel to delay vote on $2B tax deals for developers of Lincoln Yards, ‘The 78’

Metro

How the minimum wage increase will affect DePaul student employees

Metro

Chicago to sue Jussie Smollett for costs of investigation

2019 Mayoral Race

Lightfoot becomes first African American woman to lead Chicago

Metro

CTA to use ride-sharing tax to upgrade security

Metro

Private security guards hired to patrol State Street