Filed under News

Duckworth proposes increased funding for on-campus child care

Sen.+Tammy+Duckworth+spoke+about+her+new+proposal+to+create+child+care+programs+at+universities+during+a+press+conference+at+Daley+Plaza+on+Friday%2C+May+10.+

Sen. Tammy Duckworth spoke about her new proposal to create child care programs at universities during a press conference at Daley Plaza on Friday, May 10.

Xavier Ortega / The DePaulia

Xavier Ortega / The DePaulia

Xavier Ortega / The DePaulia

Sen. Tammy Duckworth unveiled her plan to increase a federal grant for colleges to create child care programs for students with children Friday, and spoke directly to DePaul, which does not have child care facilities for students on campus.

DePaul only offers daycare facilities at the Ray Meyer Fitness Center during children’s hours, which are Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to noon, and the parent must stay inside the Ray.

“I would personally be happy to speak to any of the officials at the university to explain to them why it is so critical to provide child care,” Duckworth said at a press conference at Daley Plaza. “For a university like DePaul that has a larger population, they’ll be able to get a little more money. And it’ll allow them to provide child care on a sliding scale, in order of ability to pay.

“This is something that is normally the right thing to do, but it is something that would encourage more people who may not enroll, who would say, ‘Now there’s child care, now I can actually manage to do this.’ It’s a good decision, both in terms of the right thing to do for their students, but also will encourage more students to enroll at DePaul.”

Duckworth cited her own experiences being a working mother as the reason for the package of legislation, which also includes provisions which would help families pay for diapers and make workplaces more family-friendly.

On April 18, the Senate unanimously voted to change its rules to allow senators to bring babies into its chamber. The next day, Duckworth’s newborn child became the first baby to be welcomed on the floor of the Senate.

Duckworth’s legislation, the Expanding On-Campus Child Care to Help Parents Succeed Act, would dramatically increase the funding for an existing program. The Department of Education had $33,323,408 in funding for the grant in 2018. Duckworth’s bill would increase its funding to $200 million.

“In 2013, a DePaul committee did explore on-campus child care and the CCAMPIS program, and at the time decided not to move forward,” said James Stewart, the director of adult, veteran and commuter student affairs.

196 colleges nationwide received the grant money to establish on-campus child care facilities, with an average award of $170,017, according to the Department of Education.

Eight colleges in Illinois received the grant money in 2018, including the University of Illinois network, Northern Illinois University and Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. Five colleges in the City Colleges network also offer child care facilities.

Duckworth’s bill is co-sponsored by Sens. Dick Durbin, Bob Casey, Kirsten Gillibrand and Chris Van Hollen.

Cindy San Miguel, the assistant director of the Center of Excellence in Maternal and Child Health at the University of Illinois at Chicago, said the proposal will be helpful for families.

“As someone who found themselves pregnant in graduate school, with no financial support, utilizing services such as Medicaid and WIC, I personally appreciate how these policies can have a positive impact on families,” San Miguel said.

2 Responses to “Duckworth proposes increased funding for on-campus child care”

1. JAMES on May 13th, 2019 5:54 pm

I have been suffering from HIV and Genital Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr TAKUTA on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr TAKUTA today on this Email address: takutaspellalter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +27788634102….

Dr.TAKUTA also cures:
    1. HEPATITIS A,B,C
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3.DIABETES
    4.STROKE.
    5.STDS and STI
    6. MARRIAGE COUNSELLING
    7.LOVE SPELL CASTING
    8.JOB PROMOTION SPELLS
    9.MARITAL PROBLEM
    10.MAGIC MONEY SPELLS

2. Natasha Wanderly form USA on May 16th, 2019 11:27 pm

heal from broken heart” my husband left me and the kids for 2 weeks when i called him he didn’t pick up when he came back home the 3rd week he told me he wanted a divorce i was so sad, i cried all night he left again i was so lonely the next day i was searching for something online when i found a spell caster called DR.UNITY who have helped so many people with their problems so i contacted him with my problems he told me it will take 11hrs and my husband will be back to me i did every thing he told me to do and the next day my husband came back kneeling and begging he canceled the divorce we are now happy together again, DR.UNITY can help you Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

• Duckworth proposes increased funding for on-campus child care

Metro

Illinois man found guilty in teen’s 1992 strangulation death

Metro

Unsealed file contains Smollett bail conditions

Metro

Lori Lightfoot sworn in as Chicago mayor; vows big reforms

Spring Carnival brightens up DePaul

Metro

COMMENTARY: Chicago will remember Emanuel as he was, not as he wants

Metro

Potential solutions to urban flooding not attainable for communities that need them most

Students break fast and learn about Ramadan at Interfaith Iftar

Metro

Pilsen proposes historic landmark to slow gentrification

Metro

Chicago public health department confirms measles case

Metro

Pregnant Chicago woman slain, baby cut from her womb