DePaul men’s soccer defeats Creighton, 2-1, extending winning streak to two games


DePaul Athletics

DePaul junior forward Jake Fuderer takes a free-kick against Creighton on Saturday at Wish Field.

Coming off their first win of the season against Xavier, DePaul took on Creighton at Wish Field looking for a second consecutive win.

The Blue Demons now have a winning streak of their own as they came away with a 2-1 victory over the Blue Jays.

Junior attacking midfielder Jake Fuderer got the home team on the board in the 27th minute of the first half. DePaul were awarded a free kick a few yards outside the penalty area on the right. Fuderer struck the ball with his left foot and guided it past the outstretched arms of the Creighton goalkeeper.

It was Fuderer’s third goal of the season and his second in the last three games.

DePaul had an opportunity to increase their lead as freshman midfielder Jacob Huth was brought down inside the box and awarded a penalty. Freshman forward Marek Gonda stepped up to take it but his shot went wide right. 

Things went further downhill for DePaul when Creighton managed to tie the game with 40 seconds left in the half. Their goal came off a throw-in sent into the box that DePaul failed to properly clear. The ball landed at the feet of junior defender Mitch Dobson who managed to sneak his shot through.

The Blue Demons, however, did not let that setback get to them. The team came out with the same energy they showed in the first opening 45 minutes. DePaul would see their persistence pay off.

Senior midfielder Timmy Iscra scored the winning goal in the 78th minute. After shouts of a penalty were waved away moments earlier, and on DePaul’s 11th corner kick of the game, freshman midfielder Omar Ramadan’s cross found Iscra who headed the ball past the Creighton keeper.

It was a good cross from Ramadan and an even better header from Iscra who did well to slide in between two Blue Jay defenders to get his head to the ball.

DePaul soaked up some of the Creighton pressure in the final 90 seconds to pull out the 2-1 victory.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Drew Nuelle finished the game with six saves. DePaul had seven shots in the game with Fuderer leading the team with three.

DePaul improved to 2-2-2 on the season and have now won two straight in Big East play. The Blue Demons will next face the Butler Bulldogs, at home, on March 20.