Oregon transfer Jalen Terry joins Tony Stubblefield at DePaul

Oregon+transfer+Jalen+Terry+announced+on+Friday+that+he+is+joining+DePaul+next+season.+

Zagsblog

Oregon transfer Jalen Terry announced on Friday that he is joining DePaul next season.

It hasn’t taken long for men’s basketball head coach Tony Stubblefield to land his second transfer — and this player is extremely familiar with Stubblefield. 

On Friday, Jalen Terry announced that he will be joining DePaul next season. Terry spent one season at Oregon, where he was coached by Stubblefield before he took the DePaul job in April.

Stubblefield, who was an assistant coach at Oregon for 11 years, recruited Terry out of high school. The former four-star guard chose the Ducks over Iowa State and LSU. 

As a senior in high school, Terry was a Michigan Mr. Basketball finalist as he averaged 20.4 points, 6.5 assists, 5.4 rebounds and 2.6 steals to lead Beecher High School to a 20-2 record. He was the No. 10 point guard nationally and the No. 2 player from the state of Michigan in 2020. 

He appeared in 20 games with one start in his one season with Oregon. Terry averaged 2.9 points in 11.6 minutes per game. His best game came on Feb. 6 against Washington, when he scored 15 points on five-of-seven shooting. 

Terry is best described as a fast player who can get inside the paint and either finish or find open teammates. In limited action last season, he shot 38.5 percent from the field and 39.4 percent from the 3-point line. 

Terry joins a growing list of recruits after Kansas transfer Tyon Grant-Foster announced he was transferring to DePaul last week, giving Stubblefield his first addition to the program. Grant-Foster is the former No. 1 JUCO recruit from 2020, but he also saw limited playing time during his one season with Kansas. 

He was a highly recruited player last spring after spending two years with Indian Hills Community College. Grant-Foster averaged 16.5 points per game and led his school to a 30-3 record during the 2019-20 season. 

“I think he’s a guy that can be an immediate impact player for DePaul,” Indian Hills men’s basketball head coach Hank Plona said. “He’s a 6-foot-7, extremely long, extremely quick both sides position kind of a new age basketball player that can play maybe a little bit of one, two, three, four. He’s a guy that can play and guard just about any position.”  

In Grant-Foster’s limited time at Kansas, he did showcase his athleticism and ability to get to the basket. His best game came against Omaha on Dec. 11, scoring 13 points and grabbing seven rebounds. Grant-Foster also had eight points, eight rebounds and two blocks against North Dakota State six days earlier. 

“He certainly has a knack for the ball and aggressiveness to be able to score the ball at all three levels: at the rim, mid-range and from three,” Plona said. “He certainly is a guy that’s worked on his game and worked on his body, and he’s become a very, very high-level player. I still think his best basketball is in front of him.”

Terry helps to replace three point guards that DePaul has lost to the transfer portal since March: Charlie Moore, Oscar Lopez Jr. and Kobe Elvis. In total, nine players have left the program since December.

Grant-Foster, a 6-foot-7 forward, is expected to replace some of the production that Romeo Weems left in the starting lineup. 

DePaul only has one returning starter, Javon Freeman-Liberty, for next season and two high school recruits that will be joining the program.