Alderman proposes Chicago horse-drawn carriage ban

While 2014 may be the Year of The Horse, Chicago Ald. Edward Burke hopes horses will not have to endure traffic jammed Chicago streets much longer. Burke voiced his dislike for the Chicago tourist attraction when he proposed a ban on horse carriages in the city earlier this month.

Burke follows in the footsteps of New York Mayor Bill de Blasio who recently proposed a similar ban that would eliminate horse carriages in Central Park.

DePaul sophomore and selfproclaimed animal rights advocate, Nina Mandile thinks the city is making great strides with the proposal. Mandile, who is a vegetarian and a member of PETA, said, “I think it’s amazing that they’re finally moving in the right direction for animal rights.”

However, it wasn’t necessarily the issue of traffic as it was the toxic fumes that frustrated Mandile the most. “My biggest concern is that the horses are breathing in so much exhaust,” Mandile said. “It’s making them die much earlier.”

Mandile would much rather take a tour bus to view the iconic Chicago buildings. “I feel like riding in horse carriages would be frustrating, especially in traffic,” Mandile said.

While the proposal may have many supporters, director of the DePaul Center for Animal Law, Professor Margit Livingston, said it will most likely take a number of years before there is sufficient public sentiment to support an outright ban.

“It is apparent that carriage horses work in very difficult and unnatural conditions,” Livingston said. “They are exposed to exhaust fumes from automobiles, the hazards of vehicular traffic in a congested city and potential weather extremes.”

Livingston isn’t sure the benefits of the carriage rides outweigh the negative health and safety concerns at this point. However, another factor to consider are the jobs that will be lost if the ban on carriage rides passes, as well as what will happen to the horses.

“It is also possible that if rescue groups are not in a position to take in the horses, they would be slaughtered,” Livingston said.

Lake Forest resident Aileen Ryan hopes the ban will not pass and would be upset if the horse carriages left Chicago. Ryan, who feels that the horse carriages give Chicago “personality,” has always had a special place in her heart for the majestic steeds.

“I remember wanting to ride them every time my family and I went downtown, or at least going over to pet them,” Ryan said.