DePaul’s nonconference schedule: Inaugural showdowns and historic reunions

Samantha Davis
Senior Da’Sean Nelson protects the ball from Xavier’s Jack Nunge at Wintrust Arena on Jan. 18, 2023. The game went through nine lead changes in DePaul’s 73-72 win.

DePaul men’s basketball released its nonconference schedule for the upcoming season. 

Basketball is still a couple of months away as Tony Stubblefield’s team looks to bounce back from a disappointing 10-23 season.

The schedule includes eight of its nine games at Wintrust Arena with the team’s only road game coming against Texas A&M on Dec. 6.

The season opens with an inaugural clash Tuesday, Nov. 7, as they take on Purdue Fort Wayne for the first time in DePaul school history at Wintrust Arena. Then, on Saturday, Nov. 11, they’ll face Long Beach State for the first time as well.

Adding to the anticipation, the Blue Demons will host South Dakota for the first time since 1938 on Nov. 14.

The Arizona Tip-Off, a Big East/Big 12 challenge, takes place Nov. 17-19, where DePaul opens up the tournament against South Carolina before facing either Grand Canyon or San Francisco. Notably, Chico Carter Jr, the Blue Demons’ most recent transfer guard, was a member of South Carolina’s roster last season.

Following its expedition out west, DePaul makes its way back to Wintrust Arena, where they are set to host Northern Illinois Saturday, Nov. 25. This is the first meeting between the two teams since 2014, and it also marks the return of former Blue Demons guard Philmon Gebrewhit, who started 21 games last season.

DePaul’s lone nonconference away game is marked for Wednesday, Dec. 6, when they square off against Texas A&M, followed by the Blue Demons hosting a series of home games.

On Saturday, Dec. 9, they welcome Louisville, followed by a highly anticipated matchup against local rivals, Northwestern, on Saturday, Dec. 16. 

The nonconference portion of their schedule concludes with a game against Chicago State on Dec. 30.