News in Brief: 1-14-13

COMMUNICATION DEAN TO BECOME PROVOST AT TCNJ

College of Communication Dean Jacqueline Taylor, who has worked for the university since 1980 and was the founding dean of the college, will leave DePaul March 15 to become provost at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ).

Taylor said she was proud to be one of DePaul’s first openly gay faculty members, as well as becoming the founding dean of the College of Communication.

“I’m really proud to have contributed to DePaul becoming a more hospitable environment to gay and lesbian faculty, staff and students,” said Taylor.

Established in 1855, TCNJ is a public university with about 7,000 students, specializing in undergraduate liberal arts education. Taylor will aid TCNJ in develop a strategic plan for the university’s future.

“It really is a wonderful school,” said Taylor. “It has a strong sense of community.”

DEPAUL TO RECOGNIZE MLK DAY

Beginning with the 2015-2016 academic year, DePaul will recognize Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a holiday and close the university, according to an email sent to faculty members from DePaul President Rev. Dennis H. Holtschneider, C.M.

Holtschneider wrote that the decision to close the university was made “after much consultation and consideration and was prompted by the many requests my office has received for several years that the best way to honor the legacy and message of Martin Luther King, Jr. would be to observe the federal holiday.”

The email noted that the Martin Luther King, Jr. Prayer Breakfast will continue to be held on the holiday in the future.

DOUBLE-SIDED PRINTING NOW AVAILABLE

In response to student requests, DePaul’s Student Government Association and Information Services have teamed up to provide double-sided printing at 11 locations on campus.

In an email sent to faculty, SGA wrote that the purpose of the initiative was to “increase sustainability and efficiency on campus.” Students still have the option to print single-sided papers at the designated locations, but the printers will be set to double-sided by default. Double-sided papers will cost $0.16: the same price as two single-sided papers.

Double-sided printing is available at the following locations: Arts and Letters Hall 111, Richardson Library 2nd Floor North West and South East labs, Richardson Library 124/125, Schmitt Academic Center 235, Brownstone’s, McGowan 255, Schmitt Academic Center Pit release station, McCabe Hall, Munroe Hall and DePaul Center 10012.

COLLEGE OF BUSINESS TURNS 100

The Driehaus College of Business celebrates its 100th birthday today, Jan. 14. DePaul was the first U.S. Catholic university to offer business classes in Jan. 1913, A ceremony with remarks from Driehaus College of Business Dean Ray Whittington, centennial trivia spanning the college’s history, and even birthday cake, will be held in the 5th floor of the DePaul Center from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

UNDERGRADS TO GET 2.5 PERCENT TUITION HIKE

The proposed budget for the 2013-2014 academic year will raise continuing undergraduates’ tuition by 2.5 percent if implemented, according to a Jan. 9 email Rev. Holtschneider sent to faculty and staff.

Holtschneider wrote that the raise is “consistent with last year’s increment and is in keeping, we believe, with inflation and rising costs.” The proposed budget also raises graduate tuition by 1.7 or 4.8 percent, depending on the college and program.

THIS WEEK IN DEPAUL HISTORY

DePaul is widely regarded as one of the most liberal Catholic universities in the country. But even in the late ’80s, threats from some students delayed the formation of DePaul’s first organization for LGBTQA students.

The Jan. 22, 1988 issue of the DePaulia reported that the first meeting of Gay & Lesbians At DePaul (GLAD) was postponed after rumors of possible students demonstrations at meeting emerged, even though the group received the support of the university administration. “It caused us to put the meeting off and reevaluate,” GLAD co-founder Valerie Glaser said, “But we strongly feel that DePaul needs a gay/lesbian organization on campus.”

In the following issue, the DePaulia asked students if they would oppose a gay student group on campus, and one student said “Yes, I really don’t think it’s right for the same sex to be together.” However, the majority of student interviewed were supportive or neutral on the subject.

Professor Jacqueline Taylor – one of the first openly gay faculty members, and now the Dean of the College of Communication – agreed to be GLAD’s moderator.

“There’s always the possibility that some people may feel threatened and respond, but that kind of response is made out of basic insecurity,” Taylor told the DePaulia. “It’s interesting that when a group of Polish, or Jewish or black students want to organize, people don’t respond by saying ‘Oh My God.'”

Today, DePaul has an entire student services department devoted to LGBTQA concerns, along with active LGBTQA student organizations, and welcomed its first openly gay student body president (Anthony Alfano) in 2011. DePaul remains one of the preeminent gay-friendly Catholic schools in the nation.