States find unique ways to get out the vote

Elections are a time for the people to have their say, and individuals from around the United States are putting their personal twists into urging people to vote, from as far as Hawaii to as close as Illinois.

When election time comes around, residents all over the islands of Hawaii line busy streets from morning to evening holding signs, waving the famous “shaka” with cheerful smiles.

Some residents opt to keep their hands free and will put large signs on their houses for drivers to see.

The signs can encourage people to vote for a certain candidate or simply remind people that voting is important. Many sign holders can be seen at various intersections, so everyone gets a chance to honk their car horns in show of their favor while driving past.

“It’s important for people to do this because you see that they’re trying to reach out to the people of Hawaii, and even if you don’t know the person, just seeing someone there holding a sign is effective enough,” said Joni Danao, resident of Hawaii.

Danao believes that something needs to change in America, and said that people must exercise their right to vote in order for these changes to take place.

Although there is usually a group of people lined up waving signs, there are days when it may just be one person.

“Sometimes, when I head to work at 5 a.m., I see one person holding a sign at the intersection, and all I can say is, ‘Wow, that’s dedication,'” said Emily Hingada, resident of Hawaii for more 40 years.

Even though these sign holders may not persuade every single person to vote, people like Danao and Hingada value their commitment to the community and America.

Here at home, Chicago Votes, a non-profit organization, is taking advantage of Halloween as a way to get people involved with the 2012 election.

On Halloween, hundreds of costumed volunteers will go out in efforts to remind people to vote Nov. 6.

They are naming this family fun event “Trick or Vote” and will go door-to-door in the Logan Square community. The volunteers will also be having people sign pledge cards.

Claudia Telles, intern for Chicago Votes, is one of the many volunteers that are helping to coordinate this Halloween event.

Telles said that sudents are encouraged to come out and show their support and if needed may receive service credit hours. This civic organization aims at engaging young Chicagoans by finding enjoyable ways to train leaders and mobilize individuals throughout the political process.

With only a little over a week until the election, these are just a couple unique ways people in Hawai’i and Illinois are getting out the vote.