DePaul VP of Student Affairs announces retirement

DePaul Vice President of Student Affairs Jim Doyle announced his retirement Wednesday, June 6. Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Cindy Summers will become the interim vice president.

According to an email addressed to students and faculty from DePaul University President Rev. Dennis H. Holtschneider, CM, Doyle will be taking a new position at a Catholic university overseas. Holtschneider wrote that Doyle has “powerfully shaped” DePaul in his 30 years working there and would try to honor his contributions in the coming weeks.

“Jim selflessly embodied what is best at DePaul, sharing his Catholic faith in the most inclusive of ways where everyone felt empowered to contribute their gifts to the whole,” Holtschneider wrote.

Summers, who will become the interim vice president starting Aug. 1, has worked in DePaul student affairs for 29 years, and previously held the titles of Dean of Students and Director of Student Life.

“She [Summers] was as surprised as anyone by this announcement, but immediately and selflessly agreed to serve as Interim Vice President for Student Affairs,” Holtschneider wrote.

DePaul will start looking for a permanent Vice President of Student Affairs once it has completed the search for a new provost. The current provost, Helmut Epp, will step down July 1.

Holtschneider ended the email by thanking Doyle for his service to the university over the years, “…please join me in thanking and honoring Jim for the many accomplishments he and his team have achieved for DePaul. I am confident he will continue to change students’ lives in his new role.”