Try these unique classes to spice up your quarter

Ever get tired of enrolling in boring and traditional courses especially classes that are not related to your major? With a few referrals and in-depth search throughout the Campus Connection database, students can find themselves in some unique and interesting.

Every year there are some courses that appear intriguing and that are not your traditional lecture or lab classes. Some seniors find themselves with a few elective courses available towards the end of their year. A lot of seniors go to their preferred social media like Facebook or Twitter to get suggestions of easy electives or any non-major classes like Animation 101 or Theater 100.

There are several of courses that seem more fascinating and can lead to students getting outside of a dull classroom for an hour and a half or three hours besides those Discover/Explore Chicago classes.

A few examples of past courses that have been offered here at DePaul University range from a Bird Watching class, a 2-credit course called Jazzercise, and even a Wine Tasting class.

Even though that a wine tasting class sound fun and easy, this class is not an easy A. Some of the courses may require permission to get into or just not available to every student.

First year students who have to take a Focal Point seminar could get a chance to visit a Cook County prison in the LSP 112 Prisons and Education class.

“I actually really enjoyed it because it was really interesting to communicate with the prisoners, get their viewpoint on their struggles with keeping in touch with their families and if spending time in prison actually was helping them improve their lives,” said Nicole Scalamera, a senior DePaul Student, who experienced the visit to the prison here in Chicago.

“I thought it was interesting because I never thought communicating with jail mates would be something we could learn about at DePaul,” Scalamera said.

If you’re not into visiting a prison for whatever reason, maybe you would like to get creative and enroll in Intro to Sculpture for non-art majors, that can leave you making some impressive works of art.

Paris Wimberly,  a junior DePaul student said that she feels Intro to Sculpture is a great art elective for students to check out,

“I consider this class to be a refreshing course where you can learn to appreciate the meaning of art while finding your own way of interpreting and creating art,” Wimberly said.

There are a few 2-credit courses that students can be active and get some exercise in with classes like Aerobics, Flag Football, Golf and Intro to Weight Training. Those classes are usually during the early mornings at the Ray Meyer or at the Wish Field.

There are all types of classes that students can be challenged and be entertained throughout the quarters at DePaul University.

Not all of the classes are just about getting your hands dirty or going out and about, plenty of these unique classes test your mentally and see how you respond to certain social issues.

“Taking a Women’s and Gender studies class isn’t a trade you learn in a few classes; it’s
a life evaluation that allows you to study politics, media, theory, literature, history, sociology, and psychology, all with in a feminist framework. When I chose this major, I become an agent – not a bystander,” said Natasha Correa,  a senior at DePaul that strongly supports women’s rights.

Even students can fill up a scientific inquiry requirement by taking Plants and Society as recommended by Marty Watson, a senior at DePaul,

“The most interesting thing was the experiment we did with GMOs (genetically modified organisms), where we had to guess whether the fruit or vegetable was genetically modified or not and whether they were okay to eat because a lot of people are against doing that to their food.”

This upcoming school year will have a variety of new and old unique courses like the aforementioned and can be found through the DePaul’s Campus Connect website and be ready to enjoy a new subject that some students may not have thought would exist.