SGA: Title IX coordinator, mental health info and MAP

Student Government Association convened for a shortened meeting Oct. 29 to discuss general affairs.

Guest Speakers

• Title IX Coordinator: Liz Ortiz, the Vice President for Institutional Diversity and Equity, spoke first, albeit briefly. She then introduced Karen Tamburro, who discussed her role as Title IX Coordinator. This position, which used to be coupled with the Dean of Students, entails handling complaints of sexual discrimination from student-to-student and connecting them to appropriate resources. Additionally, her office assists individuals in filing for the student conduct process, although the Dean of Student’s Office has the final say as to whether or not misconduct occurred. The office also monitors any reports of repeated incidents on university grounds, implementing increased security in these areas if necessary.
  • Ortiz added that the office is currently in the process of hiring more staff to aid in the implementation of Title IX objectives.
  • University Counseling Services: Jeffery Lanfear, the director of University Counseling Services, detailed a new law called the Student Optional Disclosure of Private Mental Health Act, which goes into effect Jan. 1. The law gives students the option to name a person whom the university may disclose certain mental health information, especially in situations in which students pose an imminent risk of harm to themselves or others. A student may change or rescind their emergency contact at any time.

President’s Report

• MAP Grants: President Vanessa Cadavillo once again stressed the importance of encouraging DePaul students and affiliates to petition their state representative or Gov. Bruce Rauner for MAP grant funding.
  • SGA will be sponsoring the men’s basketball opening game on Nov. 14, in partnership with DAB and Demonthon. The game will be a “blue-out,” so students are urged to sport their blue DePaul spirit wear.
  • Several members of the general body mentioned that campus Wi-Fi has been inconsistent in several areas, including the Student Center atrium and Demon Den.

Vice President’s Report

• Vice President Ric Popp thanked everyone who came to the MAP advocacy day, and added that another similar event will take place in the Loop campus next week.

EVP Reports

• The Academic Affairs committee is working on an initiative in which each senator will create fliers for their constituents wishing them luck on their finals, as well as providing details on individual senator’s office hours.
  • The next Student Leader Round Table will be Nov. 4, EVP of Student Affairs Patrick Pfohl reported.