Sexual assault reported in Munroe Hall

DePaulia Staff
Friday’s incident was the first university public safety alert related to Lincoln Park since May 6.

A criminal sexual assault alleged to have happened in January in Munroe Hall was reported to Public Safety last Monday, Feb. 15.

The report, included in the weekly crime log sent to The DePaulia each week, read: “Public Safety received information pertaining to a Criminal Sexual Assault that occurred in January in Munroe Hall.”

Public Safety was not previously aware of the assault until receiving the report from last Monday, according to a university spokeswoman, and is not able to share the specific reason why the student body did not receive an email alert of the assault as they have at times in the past.

A DePaulia report from January revealed the eight – and now nine – sexual assaults have been reported since August, and outlined the process that Public Safety goes through when deciding to send out a report.

Public Safety is federally mandated to send out a report in circumstances where there is an ongoing threat to the DePaul community. Exceptions to this mandate include, but are not limited to, when a serious crime is reported and the offender is immediately apprehended, or if the crime reported happened far enough in the past that Public Safety feels the offender is no longer a threat.

Crime logs are published Fridays in The DePaulia’s Crime Watch or daily in the Public Safety office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.