Vincentian monument to be erected on Lincoln Park campus

The Vincentian monument on DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus will stand at 11-feet-high and include a four-sided clock feature. Construction will be complete in June. (Graphic courtesy of Vasilko Architects & Associates)
The Vincentian monument on DePaul’s Lincoln Park Campus will stand at 11-feet-high and include a four-sided clock feature. Construction will be complete in June. (Graphic courtesy of Vasilko Architects & Associates)

DePaul will erect a monument celebrating the 200th anniversary of Vincentians arriving in the U.S. on its Lincoln Park campus. Construction will begin this month on the 11-foot structure, which will stand in front of Arts & Letters Hall.

The monument will include a four-sided granite clock surrounded by limestone benches. It will bear the names of every Vincentian who has served at DePaul, totaling over 200 names and dating back to 1898. A formal dedication open to all members of the university will take place Sept. 27, coinciding with St. Vincent’s Feast Day.

“The roots of DePaul’s foundation in 1898 are found in the bicentennial celebration,” said Rev. Edward Udovic, C.M., senior executive for university mission, to DePaul Newsline. “The Vincentian commitment to higher education in the United States began when the first Vincentian set foot on land at Baltimore’s inner harbor.”

According to City of Chicago data, the project will cost an estimated $400,000. Construction will begin March 14 with the excavation of a six-foot foundation to support the structure, and work will complete in June.

Vice President of Facility Operations Bob Janus said he does not expect street closures or other disruptions due to the construction.