DePaul names composer as School of Music dean

DePaul University has selected Dr. Ronald Caltabiano, an internationally recognized composer with more than 25 years of experience in higher education, as the next dean for the School of Music, effective July 1. (UCSF DMM/ Marco Sanchez)

DePaul has selected internationally-recognized composer Ronald Caltabiano to lead the School of Music as its next dean, effective July 1.

Caltabiano currently serves as dean and professor at the Jordan College of the Arts at Butler University. There, he oversaw the college’s arts programs, led youth outreach efforts and founded the 11-day Butler ArtsFest, which brings national and international artists to work with Butler’s students and faculty.

The announcement comes after DePaul officially began construction on new School of Music facilities late last fall. The university expects construction to be completed by spring 2018, and in the meantime, the school’s 386 students have been using different practice spaces in an Annex building.

At Butler, Caltabiano also oversaw fundraising and managed the completion of 450-seat performance venue.

“Ronald’s experience as dean, including the management of large performance facilities, prepares him well to lead DePaul’s School of Music at a pivotal time as we construct our state-of-the-art music building,” Provost Marten denBoer said in a press release. “DePaul is gaining an accomplished musician and dedicated community leader who will build on the School of Music’s strengths and develop the next generation of world-class musicians.”