Let’s get ready to ‘roo

Spending a June weekend in the mountains of Tennessee, listening to music and making new friends in the summer air probably sounds like heaven as you look out the window and study for finals. Well, if you plan it right, that dream just may become reality.The 10th annual Bonnaroo Music Festival will be held in Manchester, Tenn. during the weekend of June 9. Jam-packed with activities, music, comedy and tents, this weekend long festival has been a favorite of music junkies for years.

A general admissions ticket is going to set you back $295.95, but Bonnaroo offers payment plans if you purchase before April 29, and all tickets grant access to all four days of music, parking, and camping.

Where ya stayin’?

When planning your lodging for the weekend, keep in mind that camping on the festival grounds is the most popular way to stay. If that is what you choose, then upon arrival (assuming you drive) you will be ushered to a parking space and your camping spot will be located either directly in front of or behind your vehicle.

If you have a large group, be careful how many people you jam into one car. There is only one campsite per car, no matter how many people are with you; and the camping spot is only around 10 ft by the width of your car. If there are multiple cars in your party, drive into the festival together, and let the usher know. Bonnaroo mentions on their website many times that this is the only way to ensure your party will be camping next to each other.

While bringing your own tent is by far the cheapest option, Bonnaroo does offer tent rentals for $750 plus a $300 damage deposit. For that amount of dough they will make sure you’re not sleeping on the ground. All tents come with two cots, and two more are available for $30 a piece.

Of course, if you are not the kind of person who enjoys sleeping outside, there are hotel combo deals that Bonnaroo offers through their website. The more expensive options (around $550 p/p) have a shuttle from the airport along with daily shuttles to the festival and four nights of lodging. However, there are plenty of hotels in the surrounding area and, according to the Bonnaroo website, plenty of them offer their own festival shuttles.

How are you getting there?

Road tripping to the festival is a part of the recommended experience. Not to mention that from Chicago it is rather easy, take I-65 to Nashville then take 1-24 east, and follow the road signs to the festival exit.

Just keep in mind that while traveling through Indiana, it could be hard to find gas stations and/or rest stops, especially late at night.

Although there is always the option to fly (Nashville is the closest airport), be sure that you have adequate transportation if you decide to fly. If you do not choose a hotel that offers shuttles to and from the airport, and the festival, remember that the driver must be 23 in order to rent a car.

However, no matter where you stay, with all the activities that Bonnaroo has going on at all hours of the day and night, you probably won’t be in the tent/hotel/RV very much at all.

Time to ‘roo’

Aside from the music and comedy lineup, inside “Centeroo” there is an oasis of fun for both the hipster and the hippie. For those who love DJs and dance parties, there is the “Silent Disco.” A tent that runs all night long where you put on headphones and dance to a DJ whose spinning live. If you are looking for a more relaxing and reflective experience, there are yoga classes, an entire area where non-profits set up information booths, and a tent where you can work on artwork.

For everyone, there is a section filled with entirely organic foods for an energy pick-me-up between concerts. If that doesn’t work and the heat and crowds are starting to get to you, Bonnaroo has a 24-hour, air-conditioned, movie theater screening shorts, comedies, documentaries and other media.

With everything that Bonnaroo has going on, if you keep in mind the tips that veterans have given, abide to the rules (who wants to waste precious time dealing with getting in trouble) and keep in mind that human nature has more power than you do, chances are that as you study for finals, you can look forward to one of the best weekends of your life.