Alexi Murdoch quietly produces powerful show

Not too many people on campus can tell you who Alexi Murdoch is, but most would be able to recognize his songs. Several of his tunes have appeared in television shows such as “The O.C.,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” and “Everwood;” they have also been in movies like “Gone Baby Gone” and “Away We Go.” While his name may sound unfamiliar to several people, Murdoch does indeed have quite the following. He performed at Lincoln Hall on Monday, Feb. 21 to a sold out crowd. The atmosphere-like most shows at Lincoln Hall-was calm and relaxed, which is a great reflection of both Murdoch’s music and character.

Haley Bonar opened up and was a great start to the evening. While Bonar’s music is similar to Murdoch’s in many ways, it has more of a folk and roots sound. She played solo and acoustic. Most of her songs were off of her new album, slated to be released in April 2011. Bonar can be heard on Andrew Bird’s album “Armchair Apocrypha,” but she also has two albums of her own out as well.

The wait for Murdoch to take the stage seemed to span forever, but when he finally did, he was greeted by a loud applause from the anxious crowd. Even after he took his place, the stage seemed vacant and empty. Blue lights rained down on him, giving the venue a tranquil and almost somber mood.

For the majority of the show, Murdoch played songs from his latest album, “Towards the Sun.” But much to the audience’s appreciation, he performed some of his well-known songs, such as “Orange Sky,” “Song for You,” and “All My Days.”

Murdoch did not speak much throughout the concert, but it was not surprising; he seems quiet and reserved by default. However, he did not really need to interact with the audience, because his songs did it for him. When he sings, you can feel his pain and his sorrow; at the same time, you understand the joy and confusion of love. His lyrics have this uncanny ability to reach into you and pull at your heart. Murdoch’s voice is raw and deep, and it filled the venue and echoed between each person standing in the crowd. It was remarkable to see people so focused on this mysterious, but wise man.

Because of his powerful lyrics and meaningful songs, it is a shame that Alexi Murdoch is not as famous as he should be. This man puts his heart and soul into his songs and the result is always a beautiful piece of art. If you have not listened to his album “Time Without Consequence,” listen to it now and be amazed. And be prepared to cry.