Halloween is not always fun and games

Halloween is an exciting holiday for everyone. From the ghostly decorations of houses and carved pumpkins to the all-important tradition of trick-or-treating, there is not one reason not to love Halloween. However, despite all the festivity Halloween brings, there are obviously many concerns among parents for the safety of their children regarding trick-or-treating. Although most parents feel that even though children should have fun on Halloween, many have worries that their child may receive tainted or poisoned candy or even get attacked by strangers. While parents have a right to be concerned about the safety of their child, one must ask: Are these fears being over-exaggerated?

One fear in particular is being exaggerated. The fear of poisoned candy has been a common concern among parents for several decades. An article on goarticles.com states that while cases of poisoned candy have been reported since the 1960s, they have been overblown; however, these exaggerated cases have only increased the fear of poisoned candy.

These days, there have been little to no cases of poisoned candy on Halloween. While parents are concerned with this issue, they should certainly ease their fears on this issue. With an incredibly low amount of poisoned candy cases, parents can relax and have their children enjoy the candy they get from trick-or-treating.

However, other fears regarding childrens’ physical safety during Halloween may be justified. One cause for concern is that children run across streets at night. An article from kolotv.com states that there have been cases of children being hit by cars when cross streets during Halloween. Obviously children will have a harder time seeing where they are going during nighttime trick-or-treating sessions. This can be worse especially if a driver is not paying attention to the road. Thus, it is very important that parents of young children should watch their child in order to ensure a safe and fun holiday.

There is also a new tool to help parents know where their child is during Halloween night. A new app called “Track n Treat” is being used by parents this Halloween in order to track their child as they trick-or-treat. This app can help ease parents’ minds, as they will be able to watch where their child is while they enjoy themselves.

Ultimately, there are several fears that parents have during Halloween, some of which may be more validated than others. However, there are many measures parents that parents can take, as well as new ways for parents to use the power of technology in order to ensure the safety of their children during Halloween. While it is important for children to be safe on Halloween, children should be able to enjoy the “spooktacular” holiday and safely enjoy trick-or-treating!