Justin Roberts to transfer from DePaul

Justin+Roberts+dropped+16+points+visiting+Xavier+Saturday+in+his+best+performance+since+he+broke+out+with+19+points+against+Illinois+on+Nov.+17.%0A%28Photo+Courtesy+of+DePaul+Athletics%29+
Justin Roberts dropped 16 points visiting Xavier Saturday in his best performance since he broke out with 19 points against Illinois on Nov. 17.
(Photo Courtesy of DePaul Athletics)

Justin Roberts dropped 16 points visiting Xavier Saturday in his best performance since he broke out with 19 points against Illinois on Nov. 17. (Photo Courtesy of DePaul Athletics)

After an up-and-down freshman year at DePaul, Justin Roberts announced Friday he is heading elsewhere.

“After talking to my Family and praying over it, I decided that continuing my basketball and education at DePaul University isn’t what’s best for me,” Roberts said in a tweet. “I just think it’s better to re-open my recruiting process and seek other opportunities. I want to thank the University for the opportunity and the people who truly cared about me during my freshman year. I will forever love my teammates and will never forget the times we shared on and off the court.”

Roberts impressed early on in his freshman campaign against Illinois when he scored a season-high 19 points to go along with five assists and five rebounds in 33 minutes of action in relief of sophomore point guard Devin Gage, who left with ankle injury.

Roberts also nearly led the Blue Demons to a major upset over No. 6 Xavier with 16 points off the bench as he used his speed to attack the basket and help DePaul open up a 16 point lead on the road.

Outside of these two performances, however, Roberts battled inconsistency and saw his minutes fluctuate as DePaul searched for a solution at the point guard position after losing Gage to a ruptured Achilles in a win over Connecticut State.

Heading into next season, Roberts was part of a crowded point guard position that also includes freshman Flynn Cameron, as well as, Gage returning from his injury. Head coach Dave Leitao could also opt to stick with senior Eli Cain, who took over the point guard duties following the injury to Gage.

Per NCAA transfer rules, Roberts will have to sit out next season before having three years of eligibility left to play. He becomes the ninth player to transfer in Leitao’s second stint as head coach.

2 Responses to “Justin Roberts to transfer from DePaul”

1. Joseph Bourelly on June 2nd, 2018 3:39 pm

Too bad it didn’t work out. I think Justin Roberts is a talented young man with a good future ahead of him. He showed brilliant flashes at times during his freshman year but as the article point out, he was incredibly inconsistent which I think is the case for 95% of all freshman. Moving Eli Cain over to point guard after Devin Gage injured himself was incredibly frustrating for me to watch last season and I’m sure a slap in the face to Roberts sitting on the bench. Add to that recruiting Flynn Cameron in midseason, I’m sure that made him feel as though the coaches did not have any confidence in him. That said, Roberts has to really improve on the turnovers and decision making on the court.

2. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:42 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

• Justin Roberts to transfer from DePaul

Henry selected to try out for Team USA World Cup qualifying team

Strus is no longer on the loose; announces return to DePaul after declaring for NBA draft

The DePaulia’s 2018-19 recruiting class analysis

Save us, Romeo

DePaul finds true love with their Romeo

Scouting Strus: He declared for the draft without an agent, so what are his odds of going pro?

Time wasted: The Commission on College Basketball represents a hollow step in the wrong direction

DePaul adds size with grad transfer Olujobi

Ozanne adds Cleveland flavor; manners to Blue Demons incoming freshman class

Femi Olujobi commits to DePaul

Justin Roberts to transfer from DePaul