Too good to be true: Shannon Jr. reopens committment

Source: YouTube '2019 Terrence Shannon Jr. (Mac Irvin Fire/EYBL) played well in Fort Wayne'

A lot can change in a week.

Last Sunday, the DePaul Blue Demons received their second verbal commitment from a top 100 guy in the class of 2019 when Lincoln Park High School wing Terrence Shannon Jr. announced his commitment to DePaul.

Just one week later, Shannon Jr. has had a change of heart, telling 247Sports.com writer Evan Daniels that he has reopened his recruitment. He elaborated on his decision to Rivals.com writer Corey Evans.

“I just wanted to open my recruitment back up,” Shannon Jr. told Rivals.com. “It was nothing against DePaul. I just feel like I rushed my decision and didn’t see all of the options that I had on the table with my prior offers.”

DePaul, Maryland, Florida State, and Illinois remain in contention as Shannon Jr. rethinks his college decision. After breaking out on the AAU circuit this spring and summer (14.2 points, 5.4 rebounds, and 1.8 assists per game), Shannon Jr. began receiving a flurry of Division I scholarship offers after ending his senior season at Lincoln Park High School with zero Division I offers. He will attend prestigious preparatory school IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. for the 2018-2019 school year.

For DePaul, Shannon’s announcement brings back bad memories of when 2018 target Tyger Campbell gave a verbal commitment to the Blue Demons on May 8, 2017 then reopened his recruitment four months later. The point guard ultimately decided to take his talents to UCLA.

The silver lining encased in this latest round of bad news is that 247sports.com No. 40 recruit in the class of 2019 Romeo Weems remains verbally committed to the Blue Demons. When both he and Shannon Jr. were committed to DePaul, 247Sports.com ranked the Blue Demon’s 2019 recruiting class as the seventh best in the nation.

The recruiting gods continue to frown upon the Blue Demons as head coach Dave Leitao will have some work to do as he continues to try to add talent around Weems for 2019 and beyond.

5 Responses to “Too good to be true: Shannon Jr. reopens committment”

1. Michael O'Loughlin on August 21st, 2018 6:17 pm

Today’s DePaul can secure top verbal commitments, then soon after, players have buyer’s remorse. Not sure what’s going on at DePaul today, but it’s not the same university I went to when DePaul was a relatively small and old looking school from 1985-1989. Yet, the best players came in droves. What happened: Jean Lenti-Ponsetto!

2. Dick Phitswell on August 22nd, 2018 9:21 am

Good Observation! Going back to that 85-89 era there was a winning attitude not only with the team but with the fans that came to watch a winning program. Those of us that stuck around for all of these years with season tickets have seen these teams at their peak and at the lowest level. As a basketball fan there were plenty of years that we knew that watching some of the ranked visiting teams come in was going to be much more enjoyable than watching the Blue Demons. Some of that is still true with the Villanova’s, Butler’s and Xavier’s still at the top of their games! Now with the “Lottery Ticket “ protocol every year you can’t even get to know the people around you for more than a year as your seats can be claimed by someone on the other end of a computer that you don’t even know. What used to be a friendly/family atmosphere has now become a corporate micro-managed organization that pushes the fans away instead of enhancing their experience and giving them reason to keep coming back.

3. ChangeAtDPU on August 23rd, 2018 8:44 am

Time to move on from failed Athletic Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto. Enough is enough. #FireJLP

4. Darryl Duncan on August 27th, 2018 2:04 pm

Hello everyone, I must start by saying that I didn’t go into marriage with expectation that it will fail after 8 years. I and my spouse where not compassionate to ourselves. Trying to work out my marriage was self-defeating, we don’t really know why we no longer find ourselves attractive anymore. All we secretly thought was divorce, we couldn’t agree or communicate anymore, it was emotionally difficult moments when we face each other in the bedroom.
    I know that a phycologist might not be able to help me go through divorce because it has never worked for me. Divorcing could traumatize our kids, I can’t let them be emotionally crippled.
    I remember my grandmother once told me that not issues can be resolved physically, I should try solving some issues spiritually through a well-known spiritual doctor.
    I can provide evidence that my life and marriage got more better and interesting with so much love and fulfilled promises after Dr. Wakina lighted up our fire with a magnificent love spell with the aid of dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com.
    The spell work I never regarded rewrote my story. I’m touched beyond words, thanks Dr. Wakina.

5. Olivia Stephen form Tx,USA on August 31st, 2018 11:35 pm

My husband who left me and stop picking my calls answering my mails and my messages. He said He do not trust me anymore, I tried to convince and beg him, but he will not believe or answer me until we had a fight and broke up for 6months, after then I realize I can not live without him because of the love I have for him. I tried everything possible to get him back, but non worked for me, some fake spell casters scammed me and went away with my money until I came across this man called Dr Unity he helped me cast a spell for me and behold my husband came back after 28 hours, begging me for forgiveness, I was so surprised that spell caster like Dr Unity still exist. If anyone here needs some help, with all sincerity, Here’s his contact:
    Call/WhatsApp: +2348071622464 ,
    Email: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

• Too good to be true: Shannon Jr. reopens committment

DePaul breaks through with overtime win over Penn State

DePaul signs three players to 2019 class on opening day of the early signing period

We aren’t lion: Big early season game for Blue Demons against Penn State

Cain on triple-double watch; reaches 1200 career-point milestone in win against Morgan State

Eli Cain, Max Strus lead DePaul to 91-63 victory over Morgan State

Battling Bears at Wintrust

DePaul starts slow, finishes strong in 80-58 win over Bethune-Cookman

Let’s get this thing started: Blue Demons battle Bethune-Cookman

The onus is on DePaul to attract fans

Heirman linked to convicted agent’s phone records