News briefs: 9-22-14

DePaul sets record service hours

DePaul University, well-known for its emphasis on the Vincentian mission of service, set a new record for service hours during the 2012-13 academic year.

The university said in a press release students recorded a record-breaking amount of 518,848 hours of community service. This staggering amount of hours showed how important the Vincentian question, “What must be done?” was for the student body.

For Director of Campus Ministry Sister Catherine Norris, this record of service hours showed how involved students are in bettering the community.

“It really emphasizes being part of the Vincentian family,” Norris said. “The best part about this record is that it really gets students involved on campus and gives them a sense of service to the community.”

To achieve this record, students worked in a number of various community service learning activities.

“The activities vary widely from direct service to technology, health, research and educational activities,” Howard Rosing, executive director of the Irwin W. Steans Center for Community-based Service Learning, said.

While DePaul University has a number of service-learning opportunities, one service-learning area in particular helped achieve this record.

“I must say that, among all the areas of the institution, a large percentage of hours come from our nursing students,” Rosing said. “They offer an enormous amount of health-related clinician and community-based service-learning support to Chicago communities.”

With more than 500,000 hours completed, students of DePaul helped a multitude of people within the city of Chicago. The amount of service students completed showed exactly “what must be done” to help other people.

Art Institute named No. 1 museum in the world

The Art Institute of Chicago was named the best museum in the world and in the U.S. on Wednesday by TripAdvisor.com.

The museum is home to some of the most iconic art in history and features world-class exhibits.

The ranking was a part of the site’s 2014 Travelers’ Choice Awards Top 25 Museums- World. According to TripAdvisor, the ranking results are based on the quality and quantity of reviews collected over the past year for museums worldwide.

TripAdvisor is known as one of the leading sites in travel reviews. They name annually the best tourist attractions, hotels, and restaurants in major cities across the world in the Travelers’ Choice Awards.

NBC Chicago reported comments by Barbara Messing, the chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor. She spoke about the awards, stating, “Some of the world’s most cultural institutions are represented with the Travelers’ Choice Museums thanks to the feedback shared by millions of travelers around the world”.

The list also showed the Art Institute trumped other world famous art museums in the rankings including the Louvre in Paris and the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art in New York.

The Art Institute tweeted Thursday, “We’re feeling the love! Thanks for all the warm wishes and making us the #1 museum in the world @TripAdvisor!”

The Museum of Science and Industry in the South Loop made the Top 25 National Museums list also, ranking at number 16.