Revenge-minded Blue Demons welcome Providence to Wintrust

Sophomore forward Paul Reed and senior forward Femi Olujobi look on during DePaul's loss to Butler on Jan. 16 at Wintrust Arena.

Shane Rene | The DePaulia

Shane Rene | The DePaulia

Shane Rene | The DePaulia

DePaul needs to stop the bleeding after dropping their third-straight contest on Wednesday.

The DePaul Blue Demons (11-9; 3-6) next opportunity to do that is today at 1:30 when they welcome the Providence College Friars (13-8; 3-5) to town as the grind of the Big East Conference schedule continues. The Friars hold a decisive 30-11 advantage in the all-time series between the two teams.

In a frustrating affair last Sunday in Rhode Island, DePaul played from behind nearly the entire second half (they tied it briefly within the first minute of the second frame), but were never able to get over the hump and take the lead. DePaul got 34 combined points on 12-for-19 from the field (63 percent) from the big man tandem of Paul Reed and Femi Olujobi, but their starting backcourt (Eli Cain, Max Strus, and Devin Gage) remarkably all went 3-for-10 from the field in an inefficient display of scoring. DePaul didn’t score from the field the last two minutes of the game and neither Olujobi nor Reed got a shot off the last five minutes of the game. Falling 70-67, it felt like another winnable game the Blue Demons let slip away.

For the Friars, junior guard Alpha Diallo leads the team in points (17.2 points per game), rebounds (8.1 rebounds per game), assists (3.3 assists per game), and steals (1.9 steals per game). At 6-foot-7-inches, he has fantastic size for his position making him a difficult cover. He scored 20 points on an inefficient 3-for-14 from the field in Providence’s win against DePaul on Sunday. He feasted at the line, hitting all 14 of his free-throw attempts.

Providence has struggled to put the ball in the basket at times this season. They are ninth in the Big East in points per game (73.0) and tenth in field goal percentage (43.0 percent). They have shot the ball below 40 percent from the field on six occasions this season yet are 3-3 in those games. The scoring struggles also extend to the free-throw stripe where the Friars shoot it at a 67.7 percent clip which is second worst in the conference.

After surrendering 14 offensive rebounds to Villanova on Wednesday, DePaul will need to shore up this facet of their game against an outstanding offensive rebounding team in Providence. The Friars lead the Big East in both offensive rebounds per game (just ahead of DePaul) and offensive rebounding percentage. The 12.24 offensive boards they average per game is the 46th best mark in the country.

DePaul will induct two of its former men’s basketball players into its Hall of Fame in a ceremony at McGrath-Phillips Arena tonight. Andre Brown was the second-leading scorer on the last DePaul Blue Demon team to qualify for the NCAA tournament (2004) and finished his time at DePaul with 855 rebounds which is the 18th-highest total for a career in Conference USA history. Brown played 75 NBA games. Brown’s contemporary Lance Williams also will be inducted. He was part of DePaul teams that qualified for the NCAA tournament (1999) and the National Invitational tournament (2000) and he went on to play professional basketball overseas and semi-professional basketball in the states from 2002-2016. Both men, along with the rest of the DePaul Blue Demon Hall of Fame class of 2019, will be introduced at halftime of the game against Providence.

For the present day Blue Demon basketball team, every game carries extra weight. Just 1.5 games separate eight teams in the conference standings with Villanova (8-0) and Marquette (8-1) duking it out on top in a two-team race for the conference title.

4 Responses to “Revenge-minded Blue Demons welcome Providence to Wintrust”

1. jeffers thompson on February 2nd, 2019 8:56 pm

URGENT AND EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL CASTER TO HELP YOU GET BACK YOUR EX LOVER VERY FAST WHATSAPP +2348124644470

My Name is Jeffers Thompson from USA, I want to say thank you to PRIEST WISDOM for the good thing he has done for me,Though am not sure if this is the best forum to show my joy and happiness for what he has done for me but i cant hide ahappiness and my Joy so i have to share it with people, my marriage got crashed about two years ago and i tried all i could within my power but to no avail. i saw post and testimonial about the good things PRIEST WISDOM has been doing so i decided to give it a try. though he is always a busy man but when he responded back to my email, he gave me 48hours for my marriage to be restored really just like he said my marriage was restored since then I am happy and i am living happily i am so grateful, PRIEST WISDOM you can always email him here: Supernaturalspell1@gmail. com or WHATSAPP / cell phone +2348124644470

2. ann earnis on February 7th, 2019 7:40 pm

HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF PRIEST WISDOM CONTACT ON WHATSAPP NUMBER +2348124644470

This is my testimony about the good work of priest wisdom who help me…. I’m ann Earnis from norht carolina USA. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world best spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is supernaturalspell1@gmail. com or directly on whasapp +2348124644470 /

;;;;

3. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 11th, 2019 8:18 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,Your kindness will never be forgotten.

4. Kallya on February 16th, 2019 5:49 am

Hello my name is Kallya from USA i want to tell the world about the great and mighty spell caster called Priest Ade my husband was cheating on me and no longer committed to me and our kids when i asked him what the problem was he told me he has fell out of love for me and wanted a divorce i was so heart broken i cried all day and night but he left home i was looking for something online when i saw an article how the great and powerful Priest Ade have helped so many in similar situation like mine he email address was there so i sent him an email telling him about my problem he told me he shall return back to me within 24hrs i did everything he asked me to do the nest day to my greatest surprise my husband came back home and was crying and begging for me to forgive and accept him back he can also help you contact
    ancientspiritspellcast@yahoo .com or ancientspiritspellcast@gmail .com

WhatsApp +2347059715465

• Revenge-minded Blue Demons welcome Providence to Wintrust

Creighton Bluejays stymie Blue Demon frontcourt; beat DePaul at Wintrust

Bluejays; Blue Demons: Can DePaul cool off one of nation’s best 3-point shooting teams?

DePaul still has long road to reach desired destination

Hard work pays off in year two for Paul Reed

DePaul’s struggles against Butler continue with 91-78 loss

“We ran into a buzzsaw:” Golden Eagles sever DePaul at Wintrust

DePaul seeks biggest win of the season against Marquette

Sullivan Menard commits to DePaul as preferred walk-on

DePaul uses late run to snap streak against Xavier

Late run helps DePaul edge Providence and snap three-game losing streak