DePaul can’t snap losing streak against red-hot Villanova squad

DePaul+sophomore+forward+Jaylen+Butz+and+senior+guard+Max+Strus+head+to+an+official+television+timeout+during+the+Blue+Demons+86-74+loss+against+Villanova+on+Wednesday+night.+Andrew+Hattersley+I+The+DePaulia+

DePaul sophomore forward Jaylen Butz and senior guard Max Strus head to an official television timeout during the Blue Demons 86-74 loss against Villanova on Wednesday night. Andrew Hattersley I The DePaulia

When Villanova freshman forward Saddiq Bey hit an open corner 3-point field goal to put the Villanova Wildcats (17-4; 8-0) up 13 points with 17:26 to go in their eventual 86-74 win against the DePaul Blue Demons (11-9; 3-6) Wednesday night, DePaul head coach Dave Leitao immediately and emphatically called a timeout.

He had seen this movie before, a short stretch in which DePaul’s opponent gets hot from 3-point land changing the complexion of a game. Like the weather going from standard Chicago winter readings to the dangerous-to-be-outside levels like it was for this matchup, to the 40 degree temperatures forecasted for this weekend, Leitao knows a run like that can happen in a hurry.

“At the start of the second half we didn’t guard them as intensely,” Leitao said. “Our rotations were a little bit slower than they needed to be and you can’t do that. It’s like watching an NBA team because they spread you out they play pick-and-roll. Those threes early kind of put us behind the eight ball.”

The Wildcats came out firing in the second half with back-to-back 3-pointers from Collin Gillespie and Eric Paschall, ballooning a four point halftime lead to 10 points. Bey’s connection from 3-point land gave the Wildcats a decisive 13-point lead. Besides a 15-for-35 showing from 3-point land (42.9 percent), another key ingredient in Villanova’s wining formula tonight was epitomized in a play late in the game.

With just over a minute to play and his team up seven points, Wildcat forward Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree caught a full-court pass from a teammate. Sensing the hard-charging Blue Demons center Femi Olujobi behind him zeroing in on a block, Cosby-Roundtree shot faked causing Olujobi to fly by him. Cosby-Roundtree then went up for a layup only to have a hustling Max Strus block his shot. But the ball fell harmlessly back into Cosby-Roundtree’s hand as he laid it back up to put his team up nine points and ice the game.

All night, giving up offensive rebounds were a problem for the Blue Demons. Villanova finished with a Big East Conference-play high 14 offensive rebounds, converting the extra opportunities into 11 second chance points and more importantly controlling the clock which made a Blue Demon comeback in the second half trickier.

Senior forward Femi Olujobi walks off the court following DePaul’s loss to Villanova Wednesday night. Andrew Hattersley | The DePaulia

“When shots go up and you ball watch the offense has an opportunity to get it back or pursue it,” Leitao said. “Early on, I thought shots that were missed could have been rebounded underneath the basket. We didn’t do a good job of being first to the ball, or boxing out and getting it. After that, long rebounds caught. We’ve got to get back to the drawing board.”

“The way that Villanova shoots threes, there’s a lot of long rebounds,” Blue Demon senior Eli Cain said. “I personally didn’t rebound well but I think as a whole we were out of position a little bit, let guys slip behind us and didn’t get the extra possessions. We’ll clean it up for next game.”

DePaul is now 0-6 in games in which their opponent has outrebounded them.

The Blue Demons gameplan early was to feed Paul Reed. The sophomore big man cast up four early shots but only hit one of them. The 6-foot-9-inch sophomore never found a rhythm, finishing the game with six points and six rebounds after entering the game averaging 16.8 points and 9.4 rebounds in Big East play. Olujobi picked up the slack inside scoring 20 points on an efficient 7-for-10 from the field marking the eighth-straight game he’s scored in double figures.

DePaul shot the ball 52.9 percent from the field, marking the second time this season that they’ve shot the ball over 50 percent against Villanova and still lost the game.

The Blue Demons will look to snap their three-game losing streak on Saturday when they welcome Providence College to Wintrust Arena for a 1:30 p.m. tilt.

4 Responses to “DePaul can’t snap losing streak against red-hot Villanova squad”

1. Brian Heaphy on January 31st, 2019 9:12 pm

Max’s shot has flattened out. When his shots are falling more consistently he has more arch on the ball. I would be great if we could get Eli and Max on a roll to team up with PR and Olojobie . Also wondering when JCL might be coming back this season .

2. jeffers thompson on February 2nd, 2019 8:56 pm

URGENT AND EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL CASTER TO HELP YOU GET BACK YOUR EX LOVER VERY FAST WHATSAPP +2348124644470

My Name is Jeffers Thompson from USA, I want to say thank you to PRIEST WISDOM for the good thing he has done for me,Though am not sure if this is the best forum to show my joy and happiness for what he has done for me but i cant hide ahappiness and my Joy so i have to share it with people, my marriage got crashed about two years ago and i tried all i could within my power but to no avail. i saw post and testimonial about the good things PRIEST WISDOM has been doing so i decided to give it a try. though he is always a busy man but when he responded back to my email, he gave me 48hours for my marriage to be restored really just like he said my marriage was restored since then I am happy and i am living happily i am so grateful, PRIEST WISDOM you can always email him here: Supernaturalspell1@gmail. com or WHATSAPP / cell phone +2348124644470

3. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 11th, 2019 8:19 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,Your kindness will never be forgotten.

4. Himanshu mishra on February 18th, 2019 4:44 am

I have a question in my mind that how do i fix connections to bluetooth audio devices and wireless displays in windows 10 operating system easily in few steps without facing any trouble.

• DePaul can’t snap losing streak against red-hot Villanova squad

Creighton Bluejays stymie Blue Demon frontcourt; beat DePaul at Wintrust

Bluejays; Blue Demons: Can DePaul cool off one of nation’s best 3-point shooting teams?

DePaul still has long road to reach desired destination

Hard work pays off in year two for Paul Reed

DePaul’s struggles against Butler continue with 91-78 loss

“We ran into a buzzsaw:” Golden Eagles sever DePaul at Wintrust

DePaul seeks biggest win of the season against Marquette

Sullivan Menard commits to DePaul as preferred walk-on

DePaul uses late run to snap streak against Xavier

Late run helps DePaul edge Providence and snap three-game losing streak