DePaul still has long road to reach desired destination

DePaul senior guard goes up for a layup against Marquette freshman Brendan Bailey. Matt Marton | AP

Coming off of two straight wins against Providence and Xavier, there was a buzz in the air not felt an awful lot in recent years as DePaul’s game hosted No. 10 Marquette Tuesday night at Wintrust Arena, with a chance to win three straight conference games for the first time since the 2014-2015 season.

Once the game started, however, Marquette quickly took control with four 3s from both Sam and Joey Hauser, as well as Sacar Anim and Markus Howard as the Golden Eagles jumped out to a 13-4 lead.

The 3-point barrage didn’t stop there, because the Golden Eagles finished 12-of-29 from the 3-point line and never trailed in the end coasting to a 92-73 victory. Coming off of a landmark win for Marquette, DePaul head coach Dave Leitao said his team ran into a “buzzsaw” Tuesday, while also not executing well enough offensively or defensively to come out with a win.

“The combination of their first two possessions defensively (…) sometimes you get one play behind. We were more than one play behind and they got two open 3s; they made them confidently,” Leitao said. “I don’t know that (…)[other than] maybe a spell here or spell there, we did anything to distort their rhythm or their confidence.”

After forcing Howard to turn it over eight times in their matchup, they saw the very best from Howard on Tuesday. The Big East’s leading scorer was in top form at Wintrust, topping 30 points for the fourth time in five games with 36 points, four rebounds and two assists. Coming in, DePaul senior guard Max Strus said the plan was to force other Golden Eagles to beat them.

“Take the ball out of his hands,” Strus said of the plan with Howard. “He’s a good player, he played good tonight.”

As DePaul looks to take the next step as a program, Marquette presented an opportunity that will come around again. To knock off a top 10 program for the first time since taking down Kansas in 2006, the Blue Demons can take valuable lessons from their loss to Marquette.

All DePaul had to do is look at what Marquette has done. Leitao said if you look at what Marquette has done during conference play, every game aside from their 19-point loss to St John’s and 18-point victory against Butler has been close.

“What Marquette has done is learn how to play well consistently and learn out to close out games,” Leitao said. “In order to counteract that, you don’t have to play your A+ game, but you going to have to play well and (…). I would have to look at the film, but I don’t know possession-by-possession if did it enough critical areas. I don’t know that our focus was near where it needed to be to beat a team like this. I guarantee you our execution wasn’t where it needed to be, where it has been.”

The Blue Demons shot just 38 percent from the field, almost seven percentage points lower than its season average, and also turned it over 16 times, also well higher than they had in conference play.

On the other side of the spectrum, after forcing 19 turnovers in their first meeting, DePaul forced just six on Tuesday night.

“We took much better care of the ball, the first game we had 19 turnovers,” Marquette head coach Steve Wojchiechowski said of the difference between the two matchups. “They are really good when you allow them to get out in transition. When they’re in transition, Strus and Cain, their two senior leaders, are dynamic, and so coming into the game, we really wanted to take much better care of the ball, which we did.”

The good news for DePaul is it has plenty of games of significance heading down the stretch and the opportunity to secure more program-boosting wins over the next month. Entering Monday, DePaul was projected as a No. 6 seed in the NIT Tournament according to DRatings but dropped out following the loss to the Golden Eagles.

That still leaves plenty for DePaul to play for down the stretch, and is one of the reasons Leitao said his focus is solely a day-by-day approach rather than looking at where the Blue Demons are in the grand scheme of things.

“When you set a GPS and go on a drive, you don’t start marveling at the beach that you arrived at until you get there,” Leitao said. “We’re in the middle of a battle, day-by-day, 10 teams going back and forth. If you ask me, are we better than we were, ok yeah, but that doesn’t mean anything. It means that tomorrow is another day, and I don’t know exactly what is going to happen tomorrow.”

Leitao added that he’s taking a page out of Doug Bruno’s book and tries to go 1-0 every game and every day.

After the Feb. 16 game against Butler, the Blue Demons have just five games left before the Big East Tournament and sit in tie a for seventh with Xavier.

3 Responses to “DePaul still has long road to reach desired destination”

1. Lisa Joy on February 20th, 2019 2:45 am

PERFECT LOVE SPELL THAT WORK FAST WITHIN 24 HOURS WITH DR SAM

OMG!!! I am so proud and happy to be out here sharing your work Dr. Sam. I just can’t believe this now my ex Husband is really back to me on his knees presenting a ruby rose to beg me to take him back and he was feeling regretful and sorry for leaving me and for causing me pains after the divorce which occurred last year. And this whole miracle happened after I ordered an urgent 24 hours Dr. Sam powerful spell which he cast on me and my husband. Sir, I am the happiest woman today in this whole wide world. Dr. Sam, you really did it..Yes.. Its a miracle and everlasting pleasure and cheerfulness for me and my family today.. I am so happy now and i don’t know how much to convey my thankfulness and appreciation to you sir. And to the whole world, contact him if you need urgent help now because it’s guaranteed that he will help you. Email him (supremespellcast@gmail.com) His blog> https://supremespellcast.blogspot.com Add him up (WhatsApp him +2347087462033)

2. Chryssy Berry from USA on February 21st, 2019 12:04 am

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com

3. Deebra Jones on May 16th, 2019 3:50 pm

Am very happy to tell everyone to hear my testimony i am from united state, a nurse, this story of my love life.I have been married for 4years and on the 5th year of my marriage, another woman had to take my husband away from home, my husband left me and the kids to suffer for 2years until i met a post where this man Dr. Udebhulu have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my husband back home and believe me i only sent my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48hours as he have told me, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make every one of you in similar problems to meet with this powerful man and have your lover back to your self.You can contact him with this email address {shomorikasolutiontemple@yahoo.com or
    shomorikasolutiontemple@hotmail.com} or call him via his whatsapp number +2349035080936 Thank you Dr Udebhulu. I am sure he will do same to help you

• DePaul still has long road to reach desired destination

COMMENTARY: After four years, the time for DePaul to win is long overdue

Former Blue Demon star participates in G League Elite Camp

Lenti Ponsetto: ‘We haven’t arrived yet’

The next generation of DePaul men’s basketball

Moore transferring to DePaul from Kansas

Moore where that came from: DePaul lands another impact transfer

New contract between DePaul, Northwestern aims to grow Chicago rivalry

John Diener to leave DePaul

Runners-ups meet in Big East-Big 12 challenge

Billy Garrett Jr. reaches NBA, reflects on DePaul