Blue Demons and Red Storm meet for the second time in 10 days to open Big East Tournament

DePaul senior guard Max Strus drives past St John's guard Shamorie Ponds during Sunday's game against St. John's at Wintrust Arena. Alexa Sandler | The DePaulia

Ten days after DePaul rallied for a 92-83 senior-day victory over the St. John’s Red Storm thanks to a career-high 43 points from senior guard Max Strus, the two schools will meet again in the first round of the Big East Tournament Wednesday night.

After the Blue Demons missed an opportunity to secure a bye over the weekend with a loss to Creighton, DePaul enters the tournament as the No. 10 seed following tie breaking procedures with Providence and Butler, while the Red Storm are slotted as seventh after also missing out on a bye after losing three straight games and four of its last five to close out the regular season.

DePaul has had its share of success against St. John’s as they won both regular season meetings and have won three of the last four games overall between the two schools. Wednesday will mark the first meeting between the two programs in the Big East Tournament.

Both meetings this season have had a familiar feel to them. In early January at Carnasecca Arena, the Blue Demons broke free in the second half for 48 points while shooting over 59 percent from the field. That came after DePaul shot just over 34 percent in the opening half as they took a 31-30 lead to the break.

The second half performance Blue Demons put on just 10 days ago was even more impressive when Strus scored 36 of his 43 points in the second half, as DePaul outscored St. John’s 59-41 to overcome a nine-point halftime deficit. In those final 20 minutes, the Blue Demons shot just over 71 percent from the field.

In both matchups the Blue Demons have also controlled the game on the boards. DePaul outrebounded the Red Storm 43-34 in the first matchup, and followed that up by outrebounding them again 37-25 earlier this month. DePaul has outrebounded opponents in 21 of 29 games and is 15-6 in those games, while they are 0-8 when getting outrebounded.

While the Red Storm have struggled lately, they still pose plenty of challenges for the Blue Demons to deal with. Junior guard Shamorie Ponds, who was recently named to the All-Big East First Team, leads the team with a scoring average of 19.8 points per game to go along with an average of 5.2 assists per game. Ponds missed the first matchup, but scored 29 points when St. John’s visited Wintrust Arena just over a week ago.

Ponds is one of five players averaging in double figures this season along with Mustapha Heron (15 ppg), LJ Figueroa (14.6 ppg), Marvin Clark (11.2 ppg) and Justin Simon (10 ppg). Figueroa also leads the team averaging 6.3 boards per game.

Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m CT at Madison Square Garden with the winner advancing to play Marquette on Thursday night.

3 Responses to “Blue Demons and Red Storm meet for the second time in 10 days to open Big East Tournament”

1. Chryssy Berry from USA on March 15th, 2019 10:06 pm

After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he could come back to me, I was really worried and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a Love spell for me. 11hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is real spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex lover back or save your marriage fast. Do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp him: +2348071622464 ,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,Your kindness will never be forgotten.

2. ann earnis on March 20th, 2019 12:34 pm

HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF PRIEST WISDOM CONTACT ON WHATSAPP NUMBER +2348124644470

This is my testimony about the good work of priest wisdom who help me…. I’m ann Earnis from north carolina USA. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world best spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is supernaturalspell1@gmail.com or directly on whasapp +2348124644470 ….//

3. Deebra Jones on May 16th, 2019 8:00 am

Am very happy to tell everyone to hear my testimony i am from united state, a nurse, this story of my love life.I have been married for 4years and on the 5th year of my marriage, another woman had to take my husband away from home, my husband left me and the kids to suffer for 2years until i met a post where this man Dr. Udebhulu have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my husband back home and believe me i only sent my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48hours as he have told me, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make every one of you in similar problems to meet with this powerful man and have your lover back to your self.You can
    contact him with this email address {shomorikasolutiontemple@yahoo.com or
    shomorikasolutiontemple@hotmail.com} or call him via his whatsapp number +2349035080936 Thank you Dr Udebhulu. I am sure he will do same to help you

• Blue Demons and Red Storm meet for the second time in 10 days to open Big East Tournament

COMMENTARY: After four years, the time for DePaul to win is long overdue

Former Blue Demon star participates in G League Elite Camp

Lenti Ponsetto: ‘We haven’t arrived yet’

The next generation of DePaul men’s basketball

Moore transferring to DePaul from Kansas

Moore where that came from: DePaul lands another impact transfer

New contract between DePaul, Northwestern aims to grow Chicago rivalry

John Diener to leave DePaul

Runners-ups meet in Big East-Big 12 challenge

Billy Garrett Jr. reaches NBA, reflects on DePaul