Filed under Arts/Life, Music, Showcase

DePaul grads follow rock ‘n’ roll dreams

DePaul graduates TJ Horansky and AJ Khah on stage during their performance at Warped Tour as part of their band Sleep on It.

Ashley Sanchez / The DePaulia

Ashley Sanchez / The DePaulia

Ashley Sanchez / The DePaulia

You never know who you’ll meet at your freshman year dorm social.

Chicago-based punk band Sleep on It, guitarist TJ Horansky and former bassist AJ Khah weren’t expecting to make connections at a social in Corcoran Hall that could change their trajectory for the rest of their time at DePaul.

“We met at a gathering meant to socialize people on different floors,” Khah said.

They formed a bond through their love of music and bands they had previously been in.

Ashley Sanchez / The DePaulia
Fans crowding the stage during Sleep on It’s set. The band was originally formed while Horansky and Khah attended DePaul.

“I thought [TJ] was the best songwriter I’d ever heard in my life, even back in college he blew my mind with every song he wrote… then things just kind of fell into place with Sleep on It,” Khah said.

Both Horanksy and Khah knew they were destined for the music industry and majored in fields they knew would help them in their careers.

“I always knew I wanted to do music and felt like a communications degree had a broad scope,” Horansky said. “I was able to take a lot of PR, journalism and editing classes and things I knew would tie into what I wanted to do musically.”

Ashley Sanchez / The DePaulia
AJ Khah

Khah also chose his major based on how it would help him as a musician.

“I wanted to study something that I knew would be beneficial to any band I joined so to me it only made sense to study business,” Khah said about his decision to major in business. “I’ve read horror stories about bands that sign contracts that ruin their careers and I knew if I ever got to that point I wanted to be able to read and understand the contract. The more pieces of arsenal you can have for yourself is the best thing.”

Ashley Sanchez / The DePaulia
TJ Horansky

These two DePaul graduates made their dreams a reality when they joined the final round of the annual Vans Warped Tour this summer. While on tour, they gave some advice for current students who are looking to make it big in the music scene.

“Try to get internships – it seriously helped me,” Horansky said. “It was so much more about getting that hands-on experience and just networking. I took a music business class and definitely learned a lot about the basics, and it was really my internship that taught me how it actually worked behind the scenes and how to network… The guy who signed our band was actually someone I worked with while I interned.”

“Another point of advice is work hard, put in the effort,” Khah said. “People will see the time and effort you put in, especially when you’re hustling in the freezing snow handing out flyers outside of concerts.”

“The time we got picked up by our management was when he saw us hustling outside of a Wonder Years show,” Horansky said. “You just never know.”

Fans can check out the band’s debut album “Overexposed” and at the Subterranean on April 27 with This Wild Life.

One Response to “DePaul grads follow rock ‘n’ roll dreams”

1. Cope Techs on April 19th, 2019 11:17 am

COPE TECHS is an organization of Technology experts🖥️💻 with the aim to help individuals with solving Technology difficulties. We offer the best hacking services as well as our aim is not for Theft purpose but to help individuals overcoming Technology issues with our skills.

✴️For example-: There are so many individuals out there who owe a lot of debts💶💷 to Banks and other Loan Firms and are working hard 🛠️⚒️to pay back but really can’t pay. That’s were our services can help you, we have a way of generating Bitcoin and funding it into a PayPal account and by this you can pay your debts.

✴️Another Example of our service-: A Man or Woman who suspects his/her Spouse of Cheating but have no prove, we could help by HACKING the Spouse Cell phone📱 so he/she could get access to Chats, Emails📩, Location📍, Phone calls 📞and text message✉️ of the Spouse anywhere they are.

✴️We also Help student in Universities/College/High Institute📚 in changing their Grades/results saving them from repeating exams and giving them a better Degree.
    Other services we offer are-:
    ✴️Clearing of Bad Records from Courts and Police facilities.
    ✴️ Detection of weakness in Computer system security⚛️
    ✴️Funding a PayPal account💷💵
    ✴️Cyber Attacks☣️ and lots more
    Put this on your mind, “AS LONG AS IT’S TECHNOLOGY, IT CAN BE HACKED”
    We belong to the HACKERS forum HackerOne and we have the Top hackers in the forum always ready to take the risk and do a job. If you need hacking Services, contact-: COPETECHS@GMAIL.COM
    We look forward to hacking for you.

• DePaul grads follow rock ‘n’ roll dreams

Lollapalooza lineup leaves much to be desired

St. Vincent’s DeJamz

The elusive path for arthouse film survival

As ‘Veep’ enters final season, Julia Louis-Dreyfus cements legacy fit for comedy royalty

Food & Drink

Kaathis brings flavors of Kolkata to campus

What’s Fresh on Climate Change

Lifestyle

Women in the ring

‘High Life:’ a touching and terrifying trip to space

Lifestyle

Zen and the art of glass blowing

New ‘Star Wars’ film promises ‘The Rise of Skywalker’