Bachelor’s in nursing offered to incoming freshmen

Kiersten Riedford

Mark Comia, a graduate assistant at DePaul’s School of Nursing, listens to the heartbeat of a mannequin through a stethoscope to practice for his clinicals.

On Oct. 6, DePaul’s School of Nursing announced a relaunch of their Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) program. This major is for new students at DePaul that currently do not have nursing licensure or a bachelor’s degree. This launch comes at a time with projected worsening of nursing shortage, via American Association of Colleges of Nursing.

This path is one that students have been looking for at DePaul. The program received 1000 applications for the program, which only has 35 spots available according to Newsline

“The BSN option is the more traditional option for becoming a registered nurse,” BSN program associate director Stephanie Byrd said. “This option is desired by DePaul students, and we are happy to be able to meet that need.” 

Students currently in the BSN program appreciate the opportunity provided. 

“I chose the BS program at DePaul due to not only the urban environment but the tremendous amount of opportunities given,” freshman BSN student Olivia Palczewski said. “Even though the BS program at DePaul was relaunched this year, I gravitated towards the place to build my knowledge as a future nurse.” 

The BSN program comes in addition to the school’s Master’s Entry to Nursing Practice (MENP)  for non-nurses. Unlike the MENP program, this is for students without a previous degree.  

“After having the MENP, I believe that many future students applying to DePaul will gravitate toward this new program. Having that option of pursuing nursing automatically after high school is an amazing start to achieving future goals,” Palczewski said. 

In addition, the school offers a master of science in nursing (MSN) and a Registered Nurse  (RN) to Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) program, Neither of which are undergraduate offerings. 

However, students who have already started their college education are left without an undergraduate nursing option at DePaul. 

“You can enter our BSN program directly from high school, while current DePaul undergraduates and transfer students may consider our Master’s Entry to Nursing Practice program,” via the program listing on the  School of Nursing website

“I did not have the opportunity to apply to the BSN program at DePaul because I already have my bachelor’s,” graduate student Ryann McKinnell-Jaroslawsky said. “I wanted to further my education which is why I chose DePaul’s MSN program.”

The School of Nursing’s reasoning for limiting the program to high school graduates is because of the requirement to fulfill DePaul’s liberal arts core and the drive to create a tight-knit cohort. 

“[This program] allows liberal arts curriculum to be threaded throughout the program, even while taking nursing courses,” Byrd said. “It develops a nursing cohort that progresses together through the four years at DePaul. Students are able to connect with other students, early in their studies, that are having similar educational experience.” 

Students already in the program think it will be a popular option for people exploring their college options. 

“I believe that many future students applying to DePaul will gravitate toward this new program,” Palczewski said. “Having that option of pursuing nursing automatically after high school is an amazing start to achieving future goals.”

Connect with Jake Cox: @jaketweets04