From Allstate to McCormick: Graduation venue changed due to scheduling conflict

For the first time in 13 years, the commencement ceremonies for five of DePaul’s largest schools — Driehaus College of Business, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, College of Science and Health, College of Computing and Digital Media and College of Communication — will not be held at Allstate Arena. Instead, students will flip their tassels in the Skyline Ballroom at McCormick Place.

The move was made after DePaul learned that Allstate Arena in Rosemont would not be available during graduation weekend. Typically, this falls on the second weekend in June; however, due to the calendar, it falls on the third weekend this year.

“This is not the Allstate Arena blowing us off or being mad, this was an assumption made, a miscommunication and just a timing issue,” said Kelly Johnson, assistant vice-president for academic administration. She also said that it has “absolutely nothing” to do with recent discussions about possibly moving the men’s basketball team.

Sam Badzka, senior hospitality student, said that she “kind of thinks both places suck,” considering that it is a hassle to get to either location.

“It’s not like we went after the McCormick Place with the exclusion of all else,” said Johnson. “We looked at dozens of possibilities and everything taken into account, the McCormick Place met our needs.”

Recent College of Communication alum Darla- Tess Weaver said that “it will be more convenient to get to the ceremony because you can take a cab or public transportation, as opposed to renting a car for the day and driving all the way out to Rosemont.” Last year, Weaver had family visiting from out of town for graduation weekend and had to travel the 17 miles from Lincoln Park to Rosemont.

Aside from distance, a major difference between Allstate and McCormick is their capacity. Compared to Allstate Arena’s 19,000 seats available for spectators, the Skyline Ballroom’s “theater style” capacity is around 12,500 — that would include graduates and spectators.

DePaul has not decided on a seating configuration for the ceremonies, so it is unknown if capacity will become a true issue. As of now there has been no limit placed on the number of spectator tickets available to each graduate.

The commencement ceremonies for the remaining schools at DePaul will also move from their location at the Civic Opera House to The Akoo Theater at Rosemont, formerly the Rosemont Theater. That switch was due to a change in policy at the Civic Opera House.

“Where DePaul University hosts its commencement ceremonies is not an established thing,” said Johnson.

Referring to the working relationship that DePaul and Allstate have, she said, “there is no reason to hope we wouldn’t go back (to Allstate.) I’m not saying that is where we are going to be in 2014, I don’t know.”