Filed under Campus News, News

Fallout from DePaul professor’s ‘Islamophobic’ article continues

Protestors taking part in the Wednesday, April 23 protest in Arts & Letters.

Danaka Katovich | College Democrats

Danaka Katovich | College Democrats

Danaka Katovich | College Democrats

Correction: A previous version of the article misspelled Hadiya Afzal’s first name. It is spelled Hadiya, not Hadyia. The DePaulia acknowledges and apologizes for the error. 

Aggrieved students were vocal this week about their desire for DePaul to censure Professor Jason Hill over an article he wrote last week in The Federalist, a right-wing online news magazine, in which he wrote that Israel has “the moral right” to annex the West Bank and strip Arabs living in Israel of their right to vote.

Students organized a protest in Arts & Letters in the early afternoon of Wednesday, April 24 to express their frustration with the inaction on the part of the DePaul administration.

A coalition of student groups last week put out a statement that called on DePaul to censure Hill for the “Islamophobic” and “racist” views espoused in the article.

“We call on the administration to stand against hate, to stand against racism,” the protestors chanted as they dropped fliers from the upper floors of the building’s atrium and draped signs over the banisters saying “DePaul Must Dump Hill.”

Within 30 minutes of the culmination of the protest, President A. Gabriel Esteban emailed a letter to the DePaul community outlining his position on the controversy surrounding Hill.

“DePaul […] holds academic freedom in the highest regard,” Esteban wrote. “When professors speak or write on topics that prompt strongly-held, divergent perspectives, the question of academic freedom often arises.

“Should faculty be allowed to express a provocative position?” Esteban continued. “The short answer is yes. Yet, DePaul aspires to be a community marked by mutual respect, always aware of the potential impact of our words and actions. Both of these outcomes are achievable.”

Esteban’s letter did little to satisfy the dozens of upset students who felt offended and even personally attacked by Hill’s language. Some students like Hadiya Afzal, a member of the DePaul Democrats, said Esteban’s statement just goes to show that DePaul still isn’t good at listening to the demands and desires of the student body.

“We weren’t calling for DePaul to fire him, we just wanted them to say that this was unacceptable,” Afzal said. “The administration hasn’t really learned how to take students seriously when it comes to these debates, which is disappointing.”

While Esteban did say that Hill’s views are not reflective of the views of DePaul as a whole, he declined to censure him for making statements that he characterized as “unpopular.”

“I don’t feel safe as a Muslim student knowing that someone like this is on our campus,” Afzal said. “It’s ridiculous that my tuition is going to the salary of an Islamophobe, of a transphobe, of a very sexist man.”

Controversy surrounding free speech debates at DePaul have been thrust to the forefront of the community’s consciousness in the years since Milo Yiannopoulos was invited to speak on campus by the College Republicans, and he was interrupted by demonstrators who disagreed with him being allowed to speak on campus.

In that instance, then-university president Fr. Dennis H. Holtschneider took a stance similar to Esteban’s. He said that Yiannopoulos should have been allowed to speak and he was “ashamed” when he saw a protestor steal a microphone out of his hand.

“[Yiannopoulos] was invited to speak at DePaul, and those who interrupted the speech were wrong to do so,” Holtschneider wrote at the time. “Universities welcome speakers, give their ideas a respectful hearing, and then respond with additional speech countering the ideas.”

Student groups circulated a Google doc with dozens of screenshots from Hill’s Twitter account in which he expresses support for Islamophobic conspiracy theorist Laura Loomer, who was banned from Twitter in November for a tweet about Rep. Ilhan Omar and Muslims that violated Twitter’s hate speech policy.

“It’s a pattern of discrimination,” Afzal said. “We worry that these patterns will manifest themselves in very unfortunate ways if it’s not corrected by DePaul.”

26 Responses to “Fallout from DePaul professor’s ‘Islamophobic’ article continues”

1. Anonymous on April 29th, 2019 10:21 am

It’s really a shame the way these privileged white kids demand that a person of color’s voice be silenced. I expected better from DePaul.

2. M on April 29th, 2019 11:40 am

A- To the person above me, even if he is a man of color, he is held to the same standard as anyone else and he may be told that what is saying is unacceptable, color or no color. You don’t know if they are white kids who are privileged, kids of color who are privileged, or anything else. Even if they are white or are privileged, they are allowed to speak their mind to someone of color. SORRY BUD
    B- That being said, he did not say anything unacceptable. If he feels strongly toward Israel in the conflict, he is allowed to have that view, no matter who wants to cry about it and call it racism. He is entitled to his own view, like you all are entitled to your own view. Calling it discriminatory or anti-Islam is just another way of trying to silence someone for having a view that you don’t like. Breaking news: your opinion doesn’t matter, he can have any view he wants.

3. C on April 29th, 2019 6:07 pm

“That being said, he did not say anything unacceptable” — are you joking? He literally said that not all cultures are created equally, and that the United States should fund a religiously-driven war to eradicate Palestinians. I’d say that’s pretty damn discriminatory.

“Calling it discriminatory or anti-Islam is just another way of trying to silence someone for having a view that you don’t like.” Lol uh what?????? No it’s not. It’s calling it what it is — hate speech. I can call Hill’s abhorrent op-ed and tweets “hate speech” all I want, but I’m not the word police here. I can’t keep him from saying anything. If other people with considerably more power than I do find that it’s discriminatory, that it’s hate speech, that it incites violence or oppressive behavior or enables Islamophobes, then that’s their prerogative to silence him. But until that happens, I and others are going to keep calling out that kind of rhetoric.

Also — Breaking news: saying “your opinion doesn’t matter, he can have any view he wants” is quite possibly the laziest and most overused way to defend someone ever. And that’s the tea.

4. N on April 30th, 2019 8:21 pm

Ok so first thing:
    We need to recognize that the term “equal” can be interpreted any number of ways depending on your point of view. If we are using the term in the literal sense, nothing is equal no matter how identical it is to something else. Two separate opjects, people, ideologies, or cultures are not equal due to the fact that they are two separate entities. However we often interpret “equal/unequal” in a hierarchical context, and we assume that unequal things are automatically characterized as superior or inferior. Every culture has its pros and cons, but that doesn’t mean a culture is superior or inferior in its entirety. When professor Hill said, “not all cultures are indeed equal” he was discussing how some cultures fall short of the world wide standard for human rights, and personal freedoms. Although I disagree with his use of the word “inferior” to describe these governing philosophies, I still think many cultures promote ideologies that are problematic. (including our own)

second thing:
    I’ve heard a lot of accusations that Professor Hill is encouraging a religious/cultural genocide. Just to make sure we are all on the same page, I am assuming that genocide is referring to the indiscriminate killing of members within an entire culture, country, or religious sect. After carefully reading through the DePaulia article, your posts, and Professor Hill’s article, I found a number of inconsistencies.

He is not advocating for a Palestinian genocide, he was specifically making the (moral) case for the Israeli’s retaliation against Hamas. Hamas is a political and military coalition with a large group of extremists under their wing. This group is comprised of Muslims from a number of countries, and openly express their hostility towards Israeli Jews and the Jewish faith. The extremist wing of Hamas has engaged in countless terror attacks, armed insurgencies, and political tyranny with no intention to negotiate peace or abandon their anti-Semitic ideologies.

His opinions on twitter are controversial, provocative, disruptive, .and right leaning… but not racist. Additionally, he has not violated any of twitter’s hate speech terms.

I read a quote in the DePaulia describing him as misogynist and a transphobe. Most of his comments on sex and sexuality were about LGBT+ persecution, and violence against women… oh and that hes openly gay. None of this was mentioned in the article about him, or the conversations I’ve had with other DePaul students.

P.S. If opinions didn’t matter, there wouldn’t be a comment section here. And none of us would care to comment on each others opinions.

5. Dan on May 1st, 2019 7:45 am

Going by the students behavior I have every right to demand that they be censured or expelled by the school because they are expressing a thought with which I disagree? Does that sound fair? I would also suggest these students find a law professor and have that person explain exactly what the First Amendment promises to all Americans.

6. Nonnie on May 1st, 2019 8:27 am

If Ms. Afzal is so very fragile that she feels unsafe because someone has an opinion that differs from hers, I suggest that she return home and seek psychiatric help.

7. willson mary on May 1st, 2019 2:42 pm

I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I’m gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349069171173 I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number+2349069171173 He can also cure so many sickness {1}HIV And AIDS {2}Diabetes {3}Epilepsy {4}Blood Cancer {5}HPV {7}ALS {8}Hepatitis

8. N on May 1st, 2019 6:44 pm

Nonnie,

I can understand why Afzal felt so uneasy about a subject that is very near and dear to her heart. Its not about an opinion that is different than hers, Its about her interpretation of what those opinions meant. I understand why she interpreted it that way, however I also think she jumped to a conclusion that was emotionally right but perhaps not factually right.

9. Becky on May 1st, 2019 7:53 pm

I am shocked at the hateful treatment of the students directed at a member of faculty who supports Israel! Most Americans support Israel for heaven’s sake!. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East and yet these morons at DePaul want to flog someone who sounds like the only sane person on that whole campus. These students are completely ignorant of history and need to stop listening to socialist propaganda against Israel. I say to them: Go visit Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey and spend the summer. Then go to Israel!!

10. JR on May 2nd, 2019 12:04 am

Someone needs to ask Afzal (or anyone who supports BDS) these two questions:
    1: What would happen if all the people attacking Israel laid down their arms?
    2: What would happen if Israel laid down their arms?
    The answer to the first question is that those people would be allowed to move on with their lives and make with it what they may. The answer to the second question is that Israel would be destroyed by the people who have attacked the Jewish people for decades. Ms. Afzal doesn’t feel safe on campus because a professor wrote an op-ed? She should spend some time in Israel where,, in 2018, Hamas and their ilk fired 1000 rockets into the country.

11. Darby Heavey on May 2nd, 2019 7:24 am

This episode is proof that these young students lack the intellectual rigor to be in college. Perhaps they should return to grade school for remedial work.

The proper remedy for speech that offends you is more speech- make a better argument than Mr. Hill if you can. The silencing of those that you disagree with is fascist behavior.

12. Neil Klein on May 2nd, 2019 8:14 am

I wholehardly support Professor Jason Hill. These little nazis who are a bunch of parasites are the real racists!!! They can’t deal with an African American intellectual & scholar who doesn’t follow their party line!!! “palestinian” & arab nationalism is historically in line with hitler & the nazi regime!!!

13. Mary on May 2nd, 2019 9:10 am

Natural herbs have cured so many illness that drugs and injection cant cure. I’ve seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people’s lives. i read people’s testimonies online on how they were cured of herpes, hiv, diabetics etc by Dr. Ogba Kosu herbal medicine, so i decided to contact the doctor because i know nature has the power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with hiv for the past 7 years but Dr. Ogba Kuso cured me with his herbs and i referred my aunt and her husband to him immediately because they were both suffering from herpes and they were cured too .I know is hard to believe but am a living testimony. There is no harm trying herbs. He is also a spell caster, he cast spells to restore broken marriages and a good luck spells to prosper and excel in life. Contact Dr. Ogba Kosu on:drogbakosu@gmail.com
    Phone/Whatsap no: +2348137291215
    facebook.com/Dr.OgbaKosucurecenter/

14. joel lisa on May 2nd, 2019 8:19 pm

Am Lisa by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes for 3years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn’t going to ever be well again .i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw mr Brown post on how Dr Aba saved him from the VIRUS with herbal medicine i contacted Dr Aba on his email address dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me through courier service and told me how to use it,after 14days of usage I went to see the doctor for test ,then the result was negative,am the happiest woman on earth now. this testimony is real.thanks to Dr Aba God bless you. you can also reach him on his whatsApp number +2348107155060

15. Vicenta Botha on May 3rd, 2019 5:02 am

I believe it’s a shame on me if i don’t share this story of how I escaped death as a result of HIV. I was never sick but only went for routine medical checks when the news of being HIV was broken to me and instantly I went blank and speechless for more than 30 minutes because to me HIV is death sentence. I went into search for cure and prayer section without solution even as I refused ARV drugs for about 3year 9months until I began to feel sick and down with diarrhea that I rushed to hospital and started using ARV. A confidant showed me a magazine where doctor White was said to cure HIV I extracted his number and wrote him watsapp: (+2349091844595) Haven written doc. WHITE he asked I keep calm, pay for the medicines, use the medicines exactly as prescribed by him and he will guarantee me a cure. he also requested some of my personal information and address to enable him fill a medical form for me and send the medicines after preparation. Although i didn’t believe him at first, i was just trying to out of frustration. 4 weeks exactly, i went for new tests, and you won’t believe that 8 different doctors have confirmed it that I’m HIV NEGATIVE. It was like a dream, I never believe HIV has cure.He also cures Cancer, Herpes, Hepatitis Genital Warts and more. A man by name Jose have published an article on national British daily and grant live interview to BBC on how he was cured by this doc. Remember PROPHETS are usually not honored in their life time. You can also write him on email= DRWHITETHEHIVHEALER@GMAIL.COM/

16. donna lisa on May 3rd, 2019 8:50 am

I want to appreciate Dr Ameola,I contracted HERPES in 2015, I was told by my doctor that there’s no possible cure for HERPES. I started taking my ARV’s, My CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. I saw a testimonials of Dr. Ameola, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HERPES. I contacted him and told him my problems, He sent to me a herbal medicine with prescription on how to be taking it and I took it for 14 days after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there’s no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cures BV, UTI, HIGH/LOW BLOOD PRESSURE,Miscarriage causes HPV, ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, WART, HIV, DIABETES and lots more.You can reach him on email: ( ameolaherbalhome@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp contact him via +14158551136

17. Nancy May on May 3rd, 2019 4:00 pm

Hey everyone!
    Today I come to you with so much excitement!
    I have been married & barren for 5years i had no child. i have never been pregnant i was a subject of laughter from my Friends & neighbors, i almost lost my marriage because of this issue . i was so confused that i did not know what to do until i came across this great Dr Ahmed online and i contacted him at once i was scared weather it was going to work because i never believed things like this before, so i decided to give it a try and i did all what Dr Ahmed asked of me and today to my greatest surprise i took in the first time and i gave birth to a bouncing baby boy and now my marriage that was about crashing before is now restored. my husband now love and want me better, Am so happy for everything that have been happening my life since i met this Dr Ahmed.
    I want to tell all the women out there who have a similar situation like that the world is not over YET they should dry up their tears and contact this great man and their problem will be gone or are you also having other problems you can also contact Dr Ahmed, here is how you can contact him Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or Contact him via his whats-app number +2348160153829.
    Thanks

18. sarah rita on May 4th, 2019 6:54 am

herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can’t be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it and is only few American doctors that know about this herbal medicine from Dr SOSO .. I have read about Dr SOSO the great herbalist doctor from African who can cure disease with his powerful herbal medicine. for the people suffering from the following diseases, Herpes, Cancer, Also,Herpatitis, Diabetes, Hps,Infections ETC should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes. Although, i sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which i took for 1 weeks and today when i went for test i was tested herpes negative. you can reach him through his email drsoso0854@gmail.com or whatsapp number:+2348130556006 he will help you out

19. Tom on May 4th, 2019 10:28 am

I totally agree with Jason Hill. In addition, DePaul needs to deed their land back to the Potawatomi since it was
    stolen from the Native Americans who lived there originally. When the Muslims and their backward nations start allowing for
    LGBTQ parades, like Israel does in Tel Aviv, then I will change my opinion of DePaul students.

Hypocrisy among Muslim students knows no bounds.

20. monika love on May 4th, 2019 10:43 am

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don’t want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won’t get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom’s,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I’m not (HPV) patient anymore. I’m happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you’re living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

21. Peter on May 5th, 2019 8:59 am

It seems like the left have no idea of the concept of free speech. There is nothing in the professor’s article that violates free speech, but the left are trying to silence him as they cannot debate the issue on its merits.

22. Pholip Errick Mil on May 7th, 2019 10:40 am

I decided to share this amazing testimony of my life, on this forum because i knew of so many people who will still be having the same issues, which you are finding so difficult to solve. I have been suffering from HIV, for the past 2 years now. I have visited so many doctors, and hospitals and I could not get the solution to my sickness. I decided to discuss my HIV sickness problems with my friend Daphne Forrest. she introduce me to a power spiritualist, and a great spell caster DR. ODUDU. I never believe I could get cured so fast. What a relief, he has done in my life, the amazing DR. ODUDU, you too can get cured today, from any kind of deadly diseases, and virus by contacting him immediately via email: dr.oduduherbalhome@gmail.com whatssapp +2348101571054

23. AnnaShetty on May 7th, 2019 9:28 pm

Thank you very much for giving this awesome post, it is a great way to fully enjoy it.
    Play impossible game

24. Tom Kochis on May 9th, 2019 10:31 am

I am not an alum but I have been making donations to DePaul. After reading all the reports I could find regarding DePaul’s treatment of Professor Hill, I believe that he doesn’t deserve the treatment he has received. This bothers me. I will no longer be making my modest donations to DePaul. I can easily find another charitable organization that isn’t political to give that money to.

25. edwin on May 10th, 2019 8:34 am

I read Professor Hill’s brief article in the Federalist. I believe he is expressing a legitimate opinion well within the range of acceptable political discourse. There are some parts of it I disagree with, mostly from a practical perspective. I think that trying to govern more territory in the West Bank is impractical for Israel. Rather, they should hasten to establish clear boundaries and separate their nation from the surrounding non-Israeli Arabs encouraging them to either form their own country or countries or (better) to join with an existing nearby country such as Egypt in the case of Gaza and Jordan for the West Bank. But I understand Professor Hill’s perspective and I think it is a reasonable one.

26. Mike O'Brien on May 15th, 2019 2:28 pm

It’s really disheartening to see “my” side of the political spectrum wish to silence and censor opposing views. It was never like this before. We welcomed the racists, bigots, and homophobes into debate and shut them down with well-reasoned arguments. Having read the article in question, I think this falls short of those labels and comes off more as an opposing view to the current “Israel = bad” held beliefs among younger folks. Still, it’d be nice to see the left return to its roots and debate those with opposing viewpoints instead of doing the very thing we see the right constantly do — which is stifle their speech, while being faux outraged and screaming like petulant children. We’re better than this. We meet adversity head on and provide compelling evidence why the “other side” is incorrect. Bumper sticker slogans, hashtags, and tumblr memes won’t cut it.

• Fallout from DePaul professor’s ‘Islamophobic’ article continues

Spring Carnival brightens up DePaul

Students break fast and learn about Ramadan at Interfaith Iftar

Discussion at DePaul free speech forum falls short of compromise

DePaul student government races go largely uncontested

DePaul Faculty Council condemns content of Hill article, reaffirms academic freedom

21 years of Vincentian service at DePaul

EDITORIAL: DePaul Faculty Council made the right call

DePaul organization invites conversation on Israeli-Palestinian conflict

A conversation with DePaul Title IX

DePaul students stand against hate