“Songs of the Summer” DeJamz

Every summer, up-and-coming artists claim they made the ultimate “song of the summer.” TikToks and Instagram reels flood our feeds promoting their new music, with the introduction boasting the catchiest hit for everyone’s school break. Little did we know that nothing could ever top these blast-from-the-past summer break bangers. “Song of the summer” may be a new PR stunt, but these songs prove what it really takes to soundtrack a summer worth remembering.

“Today Is Gonna Be a Great Day” by Bowling for Soup: 

Yes, we’re starting with the “Phineas and Ferb” theme song. What is definitely the best Disney Channel television show (no, we do not take constructive criticism) deserves a spotlight as being one of the greatest songs to commemorate summer break. This show is the epitome of a perfect summer, with zany adventures and plenty of time for friends and fun. Even if you personally can’t build a perfectly functioning rollercoaster in your backyard, this song still gives you a great way to spend your summer vacation in front of the TV screen.

“September” by Earth, Wind & Fire: 

There’s nothing quite like the band Earth, Wind & Fire, and their lesser known counterpart, water, but we don’t talk about them. Even more outstanding than the group’s “groovadelic” persona was their song that gave voice to a fairly laidback month, with the horizon of work beginning to resurface. “September” withstood the standard back to school blues by using the power of soul. It’s like a rainy day keeping you inside, looking longingly put a window. You’ve just woken up to a driveway caked in snow and are too tired to deal with it. Or worst of all, the summer heat is just getting too hot to handle. No matter the condition, adding this song to your queue will guarentee you make it from one type of funk to another.

“DJ Got Us Fallin’ in Love” by Usher (ft. Pitbull):

Remember being six years old and jamming out to this classic Usher song? No? Just me? If you don’t focus on the raunchy lyrics too closely, this song is a certified banger that has everyone on the bus ride back home jamming out. With repetitive lyrics and featuring Mr. Worldwide himself, it’s almost impossible to not bop your head to the beat. Transport yourself back to 2010 with this song of the summer, when your student debt didn’t exist but your student dread sure did!

“Cruisin’ For a Bruisin’” from “Teen Beach Movie:”

Sure, we’re looking for songs of the summer, but “Teen Beach Movie” was the cinematic event of the summer in 2013. Disney Channel original movies were still good back then, and the soundtracks were even better. This song in particular was ahead of its time, sporting a leather jacket trend perfect for fall and an early obsession with Ross Lynch. 

“Burning Down the House” by Talking Heads

This one may be a little too on the nose, but I can honestly say I’ve never heard anything quite like the band “Talking Heads,” nor have I ever set fire to an estate. This DeJamz is an anti-arson feed, but whenever I give this tune a play, I worry my speakers may burn up by the absolute flame that is this chorus. A song that blends new wave funk with art rock in the most eccentric way possible. This is the closest one should ever get to actually burning down a house.